Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:03 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice sought re purchase of 2nd hand Carrera S 991 gen 1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Morning folks!
Recently joined forum member in the hope of some pearls of wisdom!
Never owned a P, wanted one a long time, limited budget, have done some research and reckon I’d really like the model mentioned above. A few of my thoughts:
(1) I like the idea of buying through an OPC with a P Warranty. However, it seems as though the peace of mind that that should bring, is bought at quite a premium. My initial research suggests that cars bought through OPCs are consistently significantly more expensive than their non - OPC equivalents. Thoughts?
(2) I won’t buy a vehicle without sight of the ECU Over-rev report, I’m led to believe that rev ranges 1&2 are not an issue but over revs in groups 3-6 are bad news. Personally, I wouldn’t want to touch a vehicle with over revs in ranges 3-6
(3) If I were to buy from other than OPC, I was thinking that it should be possible to get a Technician from a local Porsche Indy set up to visit the vehicle in question to at minimum (a) interrogate the ECU for the over-revs report (b) thorough visual inspection and (c) test drive. Anyone done this recently, if so what sort of cost am I looking at?
(4) I’ve gone for the 991.1 as I’m led to believe that the engine/transmission (PDK) is pretty bomb proof
Any thoughts greatly appreciated and I hope that I will be able to post a picture of my new car, in the coming months. If you would rather email me direct : simon.wooler@btinternet.com
Two last things, thanks to Andy (of Woodley) for your time the other day and apologies if this post should have been made in a more appropriate place.
Happy Sunday everyone, cheers Simon

Post subject: Re: Advice sought re purchase of 2nd hand Carrera S 991 gen
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:16 am 

TIPEC membership: 7342
I bought a 996 a year ago, had an independent inspection done and a year later it failed it's MOT on a brake pipe being rusty. Not a big thing and I'm delighted with the car.

I would say firstly get an inspection and don't worry about all the things you read on the internet, these cars really last.

Good luck with your purchase and I look forward to seeing some pictures of it.

2006 Cayenne S Lapis blue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:32 pm 

Thank you Des

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:05 pm 

Hi - I bought a 996 just under 2 years ago and love it. I agree about getting an inspection though to be fair I did mine after I had bought it! - I was confident that it was a good one and so the inspection proved. I had very slight misting around the IMS bearing and was told that it should be fine for a while but to keep an eye on it. I decided to get it done so I don't have to worry about it. Have a tiptronic, I would have liked a manual but t here didnt seem to be many good ones around plus I'm old and my other cars are automatic! On the plus side of a 'tip' its far less likely to have been over revved. According to the inspection is all the previous mileage (82K) it had been over the limit for 1 (one) second!

Have done 10k miles now and its been great and looking forward to taking it down to Le Mans this year

They are a great buy now as prices going up but I dont think they will go as far as my sons 82' Sc which he purchased about 20 years ago for £9k and is now worth about £35-40K

Enjoy it !

Ian