Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone tried Esso 99 RON yet?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9212
I started using shortly after it's launch and really wanted to be happy with it due to them not using ethanol in their fuel (although, I'm not sure how important that really is in reality).

Anyway, I noticed that my idle felt a bit more lumpy afterwards. I've had 4-5 tanks of it and it's the same so it's not that the ECU needed time to adjust. I just switched back to V-Power and it seems to idle smoother - or it is all in my head??

Anyone else tried it?

I have a 997.1 CS2 in case that matters...

Post subject: Re: Anyone tried Esso 99 RON yet?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:00 am 

TIPEC membership: 7
Its good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:11 am 

TIPEC membership: 9212
I decided its all in my head and have put Esso in on my latest fill up.

One thing that isn't in my head is that exhaust tips get more soot on Shell than on Esso...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:44 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I have never use the said product because I am a fan of Shell V-Power for years now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:14 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
jenks80085 wrote:
I started using shortly after it's launch and really wanted to be happy with it due to them not using ethanol in their fuel (although, I'm not sure how important that really is in reality).

Anyway, I noticed that my idle felt a bit more lumpy afterwards. I've had 4-5 tanks of it and it's the same so it's not that the ECU needed time to adjust. I just switched back to V-Power and it seems to idle smoother - or it is all in my head??

Anyone else tried it?

I have a 997.1 CS2 in case that matters...

I looked into the unleaded issues about 4 years ago when there was a panic about increasing the ethanol content from 5 to 10% in pump fuel which we were warned could damage our fuel pumps/injector seals etc. The other issue was including ethanol at 5% into premium fuel.At that time the only 99Ron for sale in the UK was V power which had no Ethanol. I contacted Royal Dutch Shell in Holland and had several very interesting conversations with their R&D and other departments who suggested that they were under severe pressure from the EU and US to comply with the Ethanol changes but were resisting , but 'off the record' said that they knew of the possible issues of adding this product to their road fuels. A further call intimated that a compromise was going to be tabled where Shell would comply on the lower grade fuels but V power 99Ron(in this country) would remain, at least for the foreseeable future. That product was the highest octane pump fuel in the UK, the others were 98 at best, but most were at 97 except of course a very large supermarket brand which suggested they were pumping 99, but from personal experience it was the filthiest muck I have had to put in my car! I don't know what's happening now but I loved the stuff we were buying in Germany, Shell Red 10 which got the old 993 all excited, that's for sure .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9500
Not sure this will be much help but have been using Esso on my new (to me) 997.2 for the past few months with absolutely no issues and pipes look clean!