Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jacking Up
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:19 am 

TIPEC membership: 7129
Feel a bit daft asking this question, but does anyone have any suggestions on a good jack?

I bought myself a low profile trolley jack from Halfords thinking that would be better than using the jack that came with the car. The first time I used it on the rear jacking point the car slipped off the jack. Damaged the plastic trim around the jack. I don't think it reached far enough under the car. But neither did it 'fit' particularly well with the jacking point.

So I've reverted to using the scissor jack that came with the car. I like the fact that it has raised 'nipple' that locates into the hole in the centre of the jacking point.

I thought about getting another scissor jack to save the in-car one for emergencies, but none of the ones I've found on-line seem to have the same locator. Not even from the likes of Design911 etc.

Or should I persist with the trolley jack? Maybe I need a jacking pad for it? Or a different trolley jack? What do you use?

Post subject: Re: Jacking Up
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5518
Your trolley jack should be fine. Most folks would either employ the pad as you refer too or simply use a wood block to sandwich in between the jack and the car. The latter will stop it slipping as the jack rises and falls.
If you want to be absolutely correct you can do what I've done. I've had a section of Ali milled to slot in the jacking section on the car while the other side fits into the position of the jack cup. A positive fit both ends and as long as the jack is free to move while raising and lowering there's no undue strain on the assembly.

Post subject: Re: Jacking Up
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I use the aluminium jacking pads you can find on ebay (997 jacking pad) - fit in the jacking point fine, and while they dont lock into the jack, they sit on the pad just dandy. Hope it helps.

Mine's a 997.2 - just put the winters on it...

Old wheels were these...

New new new