Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:06 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 996 Turbo (front splitter)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:22 am 

TIPEC membership: 4718
Hi - just wondered if any of my knowledgeable friends could offer any pearls of wisdom on this topic please......

996 Turbo front splitter......colour-coded (in my case).......and lower than a snake's belly of course. Only needs a centipede to be crossing the road - and it seems it gets damaged :( 2 years of ownership now, I reckon I've had it painted 3 times!!!!!!

Most recent 'pain' involved finding nowhere to park in Chester city centre.....and going into a multi-storey car park against my better judgement. First ramp I went down......scccccccrape........

Currently contemplating a new one (circa £250 from OPC - maybe a bit less after I haggle) but a new one I'm guessing to be fibre-glass.........a copy product which I've found on both fleabay and Pistonheads (urethane).......but I'm just wondering now if my suspension is tired (hopefully not!!!) and/or whether I should be looking at some kind of suspension upgrade which might give me variable ride height?????

Hmmmm......

Post subject: Re: 996 Turbo (front splitter)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 am 

TIPEC membership: 993
GeeBeeMan wrote:
Hi - just wondered if any of my knowledgeable friends could offer any pearls of wisdom on this topic please......

996 Turbo front splitter......colour-coded (in my case).......and lower than a snake's belly of course. Only needs a centipede to be crossing the road - and it seems it gets damaged :( 2 years of ownership now, I reckon I've had it painted 3 times!!!!!!

Most recent 'pain' involved finding nowhere to park in Chester city centre.....and going into a multi-storey car park against my better judgement. First ramp I went down......scccccccrape........

Currently contemplating a new one (circa £250 from OPC - maybe a bit less after I haggle) but a new one I'm guessing to be fibre-glass.........a copy product which I've found on both fleabay and Pistonheads (urethane).......but I'm just wondering now if my suspension is tired (hopefully not!!!) and/or whether I should be looking at some kind of suspension upgrade which might give me variable ride height?????

Hmmmm......

Have a chat with Chris at Center Gravity, he has just done my suspension, very good operation :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6364
Lift kit as fitted to many gt3's?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I have had to resign myself to the fact that the front splitter is sacrificial. It's only held on with 4 screws so I'm thinking of buying another and getting it sprayed, then swapping it over and preparing the other one ready to go back on and swap between them. Small price to pay for having a car that looks so good.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:06 pm 

I had three new lips fitted during my 996T ownership over 4 years, as mentioned I saw them a sacrificial :oops:
That and falling off the black stuff on trackdays didn't help..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
are there any implications of simply removing it? Mine rubs every time i leave my drive

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:52 am 

TIPEC membership: 4718
'implication' is that the car doesn't look right......oh yeah and at about 150 mph your airflow isn't as it should be I would say :shock: