Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:34 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Warranty Options
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 am 

TIPEC membership: 5518
Hi guys, the two year OPC warranty on my 997 turbo is coming to an end. The car is close on 6 yrs old with 27k ish miles on the clock. Porsche have quoted my £2.5k for another two years.

I have this thought of an IMS bearing failure, for no reason other than what you read, Leicester OPC inform me the above failure would be fully covered.

Does anyone know of other options that would give you the same protection for less outlay.

Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject: Re: Warranty Options
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:18 am 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Turbo engines do not suffer from your typical IMS bearing failures, and I have never heard of a single one as it is a different type of engine. Having said that the typical cost of repairs, over a 2year period, to a 997 Turbo could be more than the cost of the warranty. It's a gamble, as all insurance type policy's are. If you want to sleep easy at night, then the OPC warranty is the best. The policy does have restrictions, such as the battery isn't covered and needs to be replaced with a Porsche one wich is dearer than the Bosch one. You could bank the money and hope that your repairs don't come to that amount?

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:03 pm 

Allan, the Turbo engine is pretty much bullet proof and does not suffer the IMS or bore scoring issues.
A possible over rev and front radiators are the things for a 997 Turbo, the Rads are about £800 a pop and over the years apart from small niggles a starter motor (again (£850) were my only other claims in 6 years
WD and others are available, there has been good mentions of the company that is sponsoring the other Porsche club with quite a few reporting good experiences with them.

My car was always in Porsche extended warranty and with the radiators it about paid for itself, especially if you consider that it comes with breakdown cover included at that cost.
I've been brought home on the back of a low loader the once due to a tyre blowout and they couldn't source a tyre for me in time (bank holiday)
My car was parked next to another 997 that had a suffered a rear puncture over the same weekend!! he was with standard RAC breakdown, the difference in service was more than apparent, right up to the point we left the carpark with him still waiting for a ride.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I think the simple question is, would you have an OPC warranty if you had a 997 Turbo. My answer would be yes. :D

As you mentioned over revs Gary, I have heard that in some cases these can cause the warranty to be void if found in the higher ranges. :roll:

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:58 am 

TIPEC membership: 5518
Thanks for the comments, it's always nice to bounce these things around before making the move.

Incidentally I had the rads renewed under the last warranty scheme so I guess I had my cash back on that.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:33 pm 

You'll of seen the info about over-revs and different bands, the warranty keeps moving the goal posts but last time I read up, a stage 4 required inspection of a combustion chamber inspect and check along with an oil check- cost, that'll be £600 sir...!
I had an amazing dealer and they only charged me an extra bit as the car was in for a major service and they were doing the majority of that work in the service anyway, I do know other owners that had to pay the £600- and that just so that you can pay the £1200 warranty!!
Some dealers won't renew the warranty if the over-rev is within 100hours or the likes, if it's been a while then they see it as safe and will continue to warranty the car.

I say dealers but at the end of the day the warranty is an insurance and the insurance company want to minimise their payouts and risk- thus said hoops are placed in the way.
I've said elsewhere but the lack of these hoops is another one of the major enjoyments of my current stead.
However I will freely admit that I miss my 997Turbo at time :oops: