Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:40 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Durametic Tool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5518
How many of you guys use this tool, I notice Lee 944 does, so this may be directed at him, I hope you don't mind?

What do you think of it?

I ask because I looked at this when I purchased my BMW some years ago and couldn't justify it, in the end I bought a software package widely available through the forums for that marquee, but you could divide the cost by 10.

It's a pain to use, but it works, and gives you diagnostics and test procedures through which you can, with a bit of time and thinking/reading through work with, eventually you can solve the problem, or at least talk to a technician with some form of knowledge/inclination of what's going and get to a resolution.

I've looked at Hinckley’s Diagnostics who market the Dramatic diagnostics for both Porsche and BMW, same price, same tool in my opinion for each marquee. Spoke with them so see if I could do a deal for both marquees in one package, but no go! They said completely different. But I have my doubts, who am I anyway to throw that wobbly.

I need some form of diagnostics tool for my 997 T2 so I can play with it and /or when the shit hits the fan. I'm not averse to paying the Durametic price but what puts me off is it only registers three vehicle Vins after which I guess you go belly up or pay up for another package, or pay the bucks for the professional package.

Lee, what do you think of your current diagnostic software package? what do you consider it's good at? what would you like it to have to make things easier for you?

Do you have the professional package? (((is there a work around for the 3 vehicle version -------- that statement will auto delete in 6.3456 secs, )))

Does anyone know of other tools on the diagnostic front that would suit the keen enthusiast for our type cars?

Any help/advice on this front most appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

What are your thoughts gmGarage?

Post subject: Re: Durametic Tool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Durametric does everything I need. My car has a re-map, which has moved the red line. I need to monitor how many range 2 over revs I get when I get excited. It allows me to check what I want and play with things I'm intrigued with. There are other systems, but they don't measure over revs. When my car had it's PPI at RPM in knaresbourgh, they used another system, so I had to get it taken to porschatek in Leeds for another test so I knew the over revs before I bought it. :D

I do have the unlimited version, as far as I know there is no work around. :shock:

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
ive had one for 3 years. Pro version with the BETA version as well. I also hace PST2.
What is it you want to know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 pm 

I guess what I'd like to know is having had the tool and used it, what doesn't it do that you would like it to? If anything.

With your knowledge of the product, would you purchase it again?

Thanks

Allan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:07 pm 

allanjenkins wrote:
I guess what I'd like to know is having had the tool and used it, what doesn't it do that you would like it to? If anything.

With your knowledge of the product, would you purchase it again?

Thanks

Allan.

It doesn't allow you to programme keys and new modules that require the security IPAS code. It does just about everything else you could ever wish for tbh.
:D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Short answer is yes, if mine was broke, stolen or lost then I would buy another. :D

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:06 pm 

Cheers guys, hope Santa has enough room left on his sleigh for me!! :bigsmurf:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:08 pm 

allanjenkins wrote:
Cheers guys, hope Santa has enough room left on his sleigh for me!! :bigsmurf:

Dont be tight either pay the extra and get the pro. It will help if you ever want to sell it and you can also use it on as many cars as you want. :santa:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 pm 

You are right of course! It will pay dividends in the long haul. But I am extremely tight!! :boxing:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 pm 

allanjenkins wrote:
You are right of course! It will pay dividends in the long haul. But I am extremely tight!! :boxing:

Hi allan
Trust me, then dont buy one right now....wait untill you can get the pro version. If you have any mates or people you know in the Porsche world near you , you can make a few $$ by reading out the dme and resetting errors and even coding new keys for them.
The hobby version only does 3 cars, so even you wont be able to use it in the future if you change your Porsche a few time.
Its worth repeating.....get the pro version it will pay for its self.
:santa: