Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:42 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oil warning lamp in dash
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:09 pm 

I've no idea what all that is, but I'll take your word for it! Any of it fatal to engine or my pocket?! Ha.

Guessing they wouldn't have checked all these when I first reported & took it in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5518
It's all progressive and will eventually get to the stage that it will cause a limp home mode and show up on the diagnostics, but mostly easy to check so that you won't get to that ultimate situation plus you'll not get that flicker which must be a cause of concern to you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:25 pm 

I think I will go back and ask them to check these. Yes at this stage I want the peace of mind, so if it's not anything major, then I'm not waiting for the failure to happen.

Just hope they find it amongst these things otherwise I'm back to where I am now. Guessing if it's an engine issue then it will turn up amongst this lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:29 pm 

Spoke to the man at opc today and he suggested that it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Suggests (like we spoke about before) that because it's an intermittent issue & no error code to go by, that I just drive it till something eventually gives so they know what needs fixing. He reckons its a sensor acting up somewhere in the engine. The mystery continues!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:29 pm 

So after all the above mysteries, I found out a few things about my car which may or may not be related.

A week or so ago, a noise was coming from in front of the engine. Took it to a garage and found that the clutch needed replacing. One clutch, flywheel and £1k later, we realise that the ims bearing could be shot. The mechanic who did the clutch/flywheel work didn't have the kit to open up the area for the ims bearing. Kindly trailered it to an OPC where they will start looking at it on Monday.

If I'm lucky, we caught the bearinf before it breaks up and goes into the engine. If I'm not, either due to bearings going into engine or swarth due to seal failing, I'm looking at an engine rebuild. Any idea what this would cost at OPC?

The car is old, but figure if I have to spend the money for this, I might as well keep the car knowing engine would then be sound. Any advice?