Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:00 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 964 tuning how much BHP( engine going into VW Split Screen)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
964 tuning ( engine going into VW Split Screen)
hi all,

Just how far can you tune a standard 1990 non varioram 964. I beleive they have 260 bhp to start with.
To run with no Cats and a free flow exhaust.

Can Turbo kits be fitted?? Any problems with this??? Power gains??
What about supercharging?? Any problems?? Power gains??
How about just plain old tuning?? Power gains??

Is there a different ecu
Can I do away with the twin Distributor.
Ant advise out there guys please.
Thanks,
Frank

Post subject: Re: 964 tuning how much BHP( engine going into VW Split Scre
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Yes you can do all of the above, but it will cost ya.
Power gains are dependent on money input, a super charger is 5k and adds about 100hp.
A turbo, the sky is the limit, ive seen a twin turbo 964 (600bhp) but that engine is probably best part of 50k!
My car was dyno at 280bhp, techart exhaust (no cat), live re-map.

To be honest a standard 64 motor in a camper will be hard to control at best, there not exactly built for speed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:15 pm 

964russ wrote:
Yes you can do all of the above, but it will cost ya.
Power gains are dependent on money input, a super charger is 5k and adds about 100hp.
A turbo, the sky is the limit, ive seen a twin turbo 964 (600bhp) but that engine is probably best part of 50k!
My car was dyno at 280bhp, techart exhaust (no cat), live re-map.

To be honest a standard 64 motor in a camper will be hard to control at best, there not exactly built for speed.

Thanks for the reply.
I have heard that a standard 964 de-cat and a map can produce 280 ish bhp.
I have spoken to 9M today and the supercharger realistically will not produce 100 bhp. about 60 in standard form. With a Motec ecu, SC, air/waterIC, de-cat, sports exhaust, be-spoke map could produce 360 possible 400 at a push. But torque is massive form 2000rpm.
The van is not for speed. I have driven a standard van with a 1303 motor that would do 70mph on standard running gear. I will be running nothing VW at all. Not even the rack and possible not even the steering wheel or column. If I can get a good 1/4 mile figure just to show any sceptics I'm not talking Bull $hit then that will be good enough for me. I Just want a very quick point to point camper.
I am also working out how to hide a semi-full roll cage and strengthened front end so the van will be a fair bit heavier. At the moment the engine is a 1200cc with 30 bhp Max speed ........wait for it.........45 mph. Wooosh. No $hit Seagulls can fly faster, well almost.lol
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:55 pm 

are the air cooled engines reliable when tuned? i assumed the limited cooling availble from air cooling would cause issues when tuned to a highish level?

is 350 hard to get form the non turbo engines?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:11 pm 

Hi Frank :)

I can still post on this forum...:)

I still think that to run a really low time you will need to go to Nitrous as well as a Supercharger...

You are going to have a weight and an aerodynamics problem to overcome....

Out of interest, have you any idea yet what weight it will be roughly when its all finished ?

Mine as an example weighs 3800 lbs approx and runs a 13.03 @113 mph and my 928 is a little better aerodynamically than a Splitty :)

Its going to be extremely interesting watching the development though :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:34 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:

I can still post on this forum...:)

I still think that to run a really low time you will need to go to Nitrous as well as a Supercharger...

You are going to have a weight and an aerodynamics problem to overcome....

Out of interest, have you any idea yet what weight it will be roughly when its all finished ?

Mine as an example weighs 3800 lbs approx and runs a 13.03 @113 mph and my 928 is a little better aerodynamically than a Splitty :)

Its going to be extremely interesting watching the development though :)

Hi Brett,

I recon the van will be in the region of 1500kg perhaps a little more.
The engine figures I'm looking at are:
964 standard engine , no cats and sports exhaust with Supercharger and air/water Ic's 330 bhp
With Motec ecu 360 to possibly 400 with water /methanol Injection.

Then and only then if it ever works and doesn't go bang , I will have a think about your topic of Nitrous :mrgreen:

Cheers
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:43 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
280bhp, techart exhaust (no cat), live re-map. + 100 hp nitrous. Be quick enough to be scary in a camper. Shouldn't break the engine or the bank. Nitrous is perfect for the drag strip. If you wan't more you can always upgrade your system. Its a low cost system that works. HP is HP. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:04 pm 

J.J. wrote:
280bhp, techart exhaust (no cat), live re-map. + 100 hp nitrous. Be quick enough to be scary in a camper. Shouldn't break the engine or the bank. Nitrous is perfect for the drag strip. If you wan't more you can always upgrade your system. Its a low cost system that works. HP is HP. :)

No no no no I'm not listening. :lol:
I hear the sensibility of it......no I dont cos i have just said I'm not listening :? :?
Don't come on my post talking sense....what am I saying....... :shock:
HELP
Seriously, I hear what you say and it make sense.
If all else fails then it might just have to be that.
If all else works then......it might just have to be that also :mrgreen:

Ultimately I want an ultra special Camper Van, not just to go faster but to be part of me.
In School if you cheated in an exam and got away with it then you might well have achieved a pass. but inside you know you have cheated.
I feel this way with Nitrous, I am prepared to cheat, but not until I have had a good fight and tryed to do it the way I feel is right for me.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:22 pm 

I think it all depends on precisely what you want to do and what times/speed you want to run on the 1/4...

With the engine you have plus a Supercharger you are going to have a VERY powerful camper, but I seriously doubt it will run over 100 on the quarter...

I would guess around 85 to 95 mph and around 14 to 15 seconds...

If thats enough, then you wont need Nitrous, but to achieve better times or speeds (over 100 or 13 seconds), you will need it...IMHO

As regards Nitrous as cheating its only one method of getting extra oxygen into the cylinders...just as Supercharging or Turbo charging does...but a LOT cheaper :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:41 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4754
Well you didnt mention that it was goin to be a drag toy, then it isnt goin to be a camper, it will be a 911 with a camper body, sounds like fun :D .
A charger with front mount cooler will kick out 100hp, seen it on a dyno run.
My car at the pod pulled a low 14 @ 101mph (best run).
So a 964 powered camper is goin to need a lot more power even to match them figures.

My car was in full road trim with road tyres, buttys ect;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 pm 

964russ wrote:
Well you didnt mention that it was goin to be a drag toy, then it isnt goin to be a camper, it will be a 911 with a camper body, sounds like fun :D .
A charger with front mount cooler will kick out 100hp, seen it on a dyno run.
My car at the pod pulled a low 14 @ 101mph (best run).
So a 964 powered camper is goin to need a lot more power even to match them figures.

My car was in full road trim with road tyres, buttys ect;

:lol: :lol:

No its definitely going to be a Camper with a drag time, it dont matter what time it does in honesty. Some times a project like mine it can be as much fun getting there as the final product. The sum of its parts will not add up to the sum of the heart. :lol:
I have priced the TCP Supercharger and motec ecu and got a :shock: I knew it would be mega but :o just how much.
The good news is I might be able to run a water to Air IC. Could be bigger than the TPC one.
Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:17 pm 

I'm still here. Been a poor year, recesion hitting everyone. Camper still not started, however I have another one in the booth atm. Standard 1965 split. Once thats out then its my camper :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:52 pm 

Sunnysidebb wrote:
I'm still here. Been a poor year, recesion hitting everyone. Camper still not started, however I have another one in the booth atm. Standard 1965 split. Once thats out then its my camper :oops:

Glad to see you still here.....

Please keep us updated as I am always interested in unusual powerful builds like yours :)

If the blower is astronomic money, then consider just adding Nitrous to the fairly standard tuned engine, I promise you that you will be amazed...I can see no reason why you cannot run anywhere between 100 to 200 hp of Nitrous, with NO risk of engine damage....worth a thought anyway :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:39 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:
Sunnysidebb wrote:

Glad to see you still here.....

Please keep us updated as I am always interested in unusual powerful builds like yours :)

If the blower is astronomic money, then consider just adding Nitrous to the fairly standard tuned engine, I promise you that you will be amazed...I can see no reason why you cannot run anywhere between 100 to 200 hp of Nitrous, with NO risk of engine damage....worth a thought anyway :)

Hi Brett,
Its been a while, good to know your still about. As to the camper, not sure about the SS any more or even NO2. I have just spent a ruck of cash on my 911tt. It did 200.77 mph at Brunters this month. I will be making a thread about it in the water cooler section later on.However you being the NO2 king, if I go that route I will give you the nod.lol