Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:06 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:16 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3045
they wouldnt let me repair mine, it had to go and be crushed. the damage was that severe they would not even allow the parts to be used on the road. Jon Mitchell who is an approved salver couldnt get the bits from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:08 pm 
Its where the rad is on the original Gold Wing flat 6 water cooled but the trike will be fitted with a VW air cooled mtr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Porsche wrote:
No, I'm just fed up with 911 owners thinking that nothing compares to the 911 either before or after! :oops:

Yeah, the 911 is a great car, but if money was no object and you could own only one car, not many people would choose the 911.
And I don't see what's so good about an engine that's air-cooled. How cares, as long as it works? :roll:

sorry , don't agree , many people who are rich still choose a Porsche , and more choose a 911 than any other Porsche , because it is the best engineered and best value supercar in the world , that is fact . The VW beetle is the best and most prolific car ever built , and guess what ? from the same drawing board . The air cooled thing is a matter of taste , sure you get more power from a water pump , cos you can cool the engine better with liquid , get 4 vaves in the head , engine breathes better = more hp , plus its quieter the yanks and the swiss are happy so are Porsche cos they carry on selling cars there , plus its cheaper to get power from a water cooled engine and manufacturing costs are lower .

But there are many people who embrace the original concept of Mr P which is a/cooled and there is nothing so evocotive as driving an a/cooled 911 with that totally unmistakeable wail from that wonderfull flat 6 with its screaming aircooling fan . Water cooled Porsches are fine for many people , but for a few its aircooled or nothing :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:44 am 

TIPEC membership: 3275
sam wrote:
sorry , don't agree , many people who are rich still choose a Porsche , and more choose a 911 than any other Porsche , because it is the best engineered and best value supercar in the world , that is fact .

Yeah, many people who are rich do choose a Porsche 911, but not as their only car. The question was if money was no object & you could only have ONE car, most people would not choose a air-cooled 911. I also think that rich people who do have a collection of exotic cars, wouldn't keep a 911 over all the other exoctica that they own. If the air-cooled 911 was the best car in the world ever, you wouldn't be able to buy one for love or money, because once you managed to own one, you would never sell it, unless you wanted to drive a lesser car.

sam wrote:
The air cooled thing is a matter of taste , sure you get more power from a water pump , cos you can cool the engine better with liquid , get 4 vaves in the head , engine breathes better = more hp , plus its quieter the yanks and the swiss are happy so are Porsche cos they carry on selling cars there , plus its cheaper to get power from a water cooled engine and manufacturing costs are lower .

But there are many people who embrace the original concept of Mr P which is a/cooled and there is nothing so evocotive as driving an a/cooled 911 with that totally unmistakeable wail from that wonderfull flat 6 with its screaming aircooling fan . Water cooled Porsches are fine for many people , but for a few its aircooled or nothing :wink:

So the only reason that air-cooled is so wonderful, is beacase of it's sound? I love the sound of a 911, but I think a V8/V12 engine sounds much better and if you only want an air-cooled vehicle for it's sound, I'd go for a motorbike. It would carry as many adults as a 911 and with pania boxes, the same amount of luggage. :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but I just don't like it when owners think that their car is the be all and end all of the car world.
911=great car, but some other cars=better or just as good.

Take the blinkers off and have a look at all the other wonderful cars out there!
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:55 am 

dekandgord wrote:
they wouldnt let me repair mine, it had to go and be crushed. the damage was that severe they would not even allow the parts to be used on the road. Jon Mitchell who is an approved salver couldnt get the bits from them.

I only put mine into the ditch once, and it was at a slow speed, so there wasn't any structual damage. The insurance company still wrote it off mind. They said it would cost in excess of £7000 to repair. I had the work done for about £4000 including new sills and a complete respray.

I would love to own a 911, but I couldn't have one without owning a 944 also. :wink:

Have you any pic's of your 944? (Before and/or after accident.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:40 am 

TIPEC membership: 993
Porsche wrote:
sam wrote:
sorry , don't agree , many people who are rich still choose a Porsche , and more choose a 911 than any other Porsche , because it is the best engineered and best value supercar in the world , that is fact .

Yeah, many people who are rich do choose a Porsche 911, but not as their only car. The question was if money was no object & you could only have ONE car, most people would not choose a air-cooled 911. I also think that rich people who do have a collection of exotic cars, wouldn't keep a 911 over all the other exoctica that they own. If the air-cooled 911 was the best car in the world ever, you wouldn't be able to buy one for love or money, because once you managed to own one, you would never sell it, unless you wanted to drive a lesser car.

sam wrote:
The air cooled thing is a matter of taste , sure you get more power from a water pump , cos you can cool the engine better with liquid , get 4 vaves in the head , engine breathes better = more hp , plus its quieter the yanks and the swiss are happy so are Porsche cos they carry on selling cars there , plus its cheaper to get power from a water cooled engine and manufacturing costs are lower .

So the only reason that air-cooled is so wonderful, is beacase of it's sound? I love the sound of a 911, but I think a V8/V12 engine sounds much better and if you only want an air-cooled vehicle for it's sound, I'd go for a motorbike. It would carry as many adults as a 911 and with pania boxes, the same amount of luggage. :lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I love the 911, but I just don't like it when owners think that their car is the be all and end all of the car world.
911=great car, but some other cars=better or just as good.

Take the blinkers off and have a look at all the other wonderful cars out there!
:wink:
will refer you to my first para , that the 911 is the best engineered and best value super car in the world , so if you want to drive a supercar on the cheap , buy a 911 , its nothing about blinkers , I have owned or driven all kinds of exotic machinery and that comparison is what I base my comments upon , if you dont agree , thats up to you , maybe its you in blinkers !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:53 am 

sam wrote:
will refer you to my first para , that the 911 is the best engineered and best value super car in the world , so if you want to drive a supercar on the cheap , buy a 911 , its nothing about blinkers , I have owned or driven all kinds of exotic machinery and that comparison is what I base my comments upon , if you dont agree , thats up to you , maybe its you in blinkers !!

You're missing my point, I'm not denying that the 911 isn't the best value supercar. I'm saying that IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT you wouldn't choose a 911.

The 911 is not the best engineered supercar either, the Bugatti Veyron & Porsche Carrera G.T. come to mind, but I'm sure there's more.