Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:16 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why does the 964 have to have 12 spark plugs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
As above, I'm getting cold feet about the 3.6 964 engine for my camper. I keep hearing how hard they are to maintain compared to a 993 engine? :?:
Unfortunately i have the 964 Turnkey engine so I suppose its a bit late to change :?:
Any advice welcome.
:)

Post subject: Re: Why does the 964 have to have 12 spark plugs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
Are you still planning to build a a garage with a ramp? It would make maintenance, and the build easier I think. It does turn it into a chicken and an egg situation but, doesn't it.

BTW, have you got your car back yet Frank? I really really want to see it? What breaks did you go for in the end? Perhaps a thread here on that too?

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

Post subject: Re: Why does the 964 have to have 12 spark plugs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:49 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Lee 944 wrote:
Are you still planning to build a a garage with a ramp? It would make maintenance, and the build easier I think. It does turn it into a chicken and an egg situation but, doesn't it.

BTW, have you got your car back yet Frank? I really really want to see it? What breaks did you go for in the end? Perhaps a thread here on that too?

Hi Lee.
yes, the land is semi prepaired and I have a quote for the garage. Waiting fo better weather to have the concrete done. Im having the whole drive way done and its quite a lot of work....... but hopefully it will be done soon.

I have my car back, tbh its a monster. Good idea btw I will make a full tread about it and 9E on the water cooled forum.
However in short here are the mods I have had done and some figures:

Soft intake piping fitted,
K1639 Turbos,
Performance 3 1/2" IC's,
Performance boost hoses
Tune for 1.5 bar,
60 lb injectors,
EBC
K&N,
100 Cell Miltek,
DV's,
MKB Box and TCU
PSS10's all round.

Been testing and doing plenty of laps and runs:
All done on Shell V power 99 ron US 93. No race fuels or additives used.
Brunters has a 1.5deg incline so is deemed to be a slow track as well . Looking forward to getting some Pbox times on the level.

0-300kph 26.91 seconds
0-200 mph 34.17 seconds
0-100 6.5 seconds
0-60 3 seconds
60-130 7.00 seconds.
All Pbox GPS verified

The heart of the kit is the K1639 turbos. They are brand new design made specifically for my car in assocoation with 9E who will supply them with there performance kit.

These Turbos flow 39lb air similar to K24 18'g which flow 40 lbs. However they still retain the K16 turbine and have the distinctive no lag feel.
They produce far more power than K16/16g's and billet Turbos.

Ken at Nine Excellence, 9E, http://www.nineexcellence.com/ is very pleased with the results and conservatively puts the power in the region of 650 bhp. With 0-200 in 34.17 that would be about right.

On the day we also had a 996 GT 2 RS ( 620ps) and we beat the 0-300 time for that by quite a bit.

Off to make a new post.
Cheers Lee. :D