Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Grumble at the RAC
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5230
Has anyone had a bad experience from the RAC or any other so called recovery companies?

My family car broke down last December and the RAC completely balls the recovery up and after complaining the their customer services they can back with some cock and ball story!

This is what happen: “Car broke down in Portsmouth on a Sunday”

I reported the breakdown just after 10:30am and was called back by the call centre within 15 minutes, I was told that my car could not be repaired at the roadside and would be taken to an Audi garage or back home, I requested to be taken home as it was a Sunday and I was 100 miles away from home, at this point I was asked how many people where in the vehicle, two adults and one child of eleven.

As we had broken down out side a Kwik Fit centre I told the call centre I would see if I could get the car fixed locally but no one had the Audi parts in stock, I phoned the call centre around 11:00am to let them know and was told the a recovery vehicle would be with us soon. One hour later I had not heard back from the call centre so I phoned for an update, I was told that the local garage was on route. It was around 13:15 the recovery vehicle arrived, the driver told me he was not aware that there was three people in the vehicle and had to call in to arrange for another recovery truck to attend with a bigger cab.

I called the call centre to let then know that the wrong recovery truck was sent and that I was now extremely angry due to the time scale and the lack of communication, I was told that they would look into the matter and get back to me, at 14:10 I had to phone again as no one would call me back with an update and final at 14:30 the correct vehicle arrived, after stopping of for some food as we hadn't eaten since 8:30 that morning we finally got home around 18:00.

I had received a letter from the RAC Customer Care unit shortly after my letter of complaint stating they would look into the matter, but they only got back after I chased them again back in March, their outcome was a whitewash and as a result I will not be wasting my money on their services any more.

Anyone recommend a good one, I am looking at Green Flag at the moment.

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Volvo S40 (and yes its Red)Sold
Audi A3 (White) (Ran out of Red)
Mini One

Post subject: Re: Grumble at the RAC
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I've not used Green Flag but they cannot be worse than my experiances with RAC and AA. I bought 5 new peugeot's in 6 years and got free mebership to witch ever was cheapest at the time. Not once did I ever get a decent result from them. Now I know you're going to say it is my own fault for buying a pug', but if they do break down I at least want to get home that day. The service and repairs from Peugeot was ok, just the breakdown service that was questionable.

Lee.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5033
I've been with the AA for about ten years.
Never really had any problems and they've been out within an hour in the last three years. Each time for the Porsche. My daily drivers haven't given me any grief

'82 944

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I was previously with the RAC and have nothing but prase for them in the North East, both times I called them they were there in less than 30 minutes and had the problem sorted very quickly. Now with a breakdown company supplied by my insurance company PerformanceMarque bu I have had no reason to call them out so not sure how good or bad they are.

1991 Titan Grey 944S2 (sold)
1996 Kawasaki ZX6R (Green of course)
1986 Red 924S (Sold)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:53 pm 

Might be wrong here but it looks like your OK if it’s a quick fix at the roadside but not if you need a recovery truck, I had the same problem last year when my clutch went, I phoned in just before 5pm and was picked up by a recovery truck at 8:15pm, as I was in Sheffield and had to get back to Northampton which after a driver break I got home just after midnight, that was with the AA.

I laugh about it now :lol: but at the time it wasn’t funny :( , I had broken down in a Red light area of Sheffield, parked on the side of the road in red 944 I looked like a 80’s pimp! :oops: Got asked twice if I was looking for business, and before anyone asks I broke down going through the area “that’s my story and I am sticking to it” :D

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Mini One

Last edited by Pete G on Thu May 06, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4636
So what did you tell the wife? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Been an AA member since 87 & have been generally happy whenever I've used them. Worse was years ago stuck in Stoke on Trent with a knackered petrol pump on a Lada Riva. The relay wagon got stuck in a major accident in Manchester & took bl00dy ages to get there. But everyone would have been in the same boat, unfortunately the AA wouldn't authorise a local garage to relay me back!

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:42 am 

J.J. wrote:
So what did you tell the wife? :lol:

I told her the full story just in case I got a letter from the Police if they clocked my number plate warning me!
“apparently there are some better ones further on down the road” :lol: :lol: :lol:

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Mini One

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5282
Hi,

I've been with the AA for 10 years with no complaint. My only complaint however is over membership renewal. Every year they send me a stupidly priced renewal quotation. I have option 300, home start, roadside and relay with wifey on the policy too. £175/year. First thing I do is go onto the AA web page and see what price they're offering the same package to new customers. £130 for new customers! So I call them and say I want it at the same price or I'll go elsewhere. I've been doing this for the last 6 years with a great deal of success. Why though are they trying to fleece existing customers? Do they just think we're stupid to check or shop around?

Ben :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:26 pm 

It’s the same with all renewals, there just hope you don’t question it :evil: , if only one in four kick back they make a nice profit each year

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Mini One

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:52 pm 

Tipec members get a discount with the AA :D

Paul

Treasurer

Porsche 928 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 944 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 924s (Track Day toy)
Porsche 924 Martini (New project)
Porsche Cayenne S (Daily driver)

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Update on this as my AA renewal has just hit the mat! £170.50 :evil:
This is for Roadside, Home Start, Relay & a complimentary Stay Mobile as I've been a member since 87.

Just rung up & said about TIPEC membership discount. The guy explained that their software only permits one discount on the list & this is my Complimentary one. So quick discussion & it is now..... £115 up from £110 last year. More than happy with that :D

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:52 pm 

Hi,
Just renewed my 944 insurance with Heritage and got UK & Continental Road Rescue for £30.00 :D :D :D
All done via Inter Partner Assistance and a network of approved Vehicle Rescue Agents, if they can’t fix it at the road side they will take it to a garage or back home.

Thought I would get it a go, just hope I don’t need it.

89 S2 44
"The fastest colour"
Audi A3 (Red)
Mini One

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:13 am 

TIPEC membership: 4754
My new 09 plate transit boke down a bit ago, fuel problem, on a blind bend in rush hour.
I explained this on the phone, the van is a hazard may cause an accident, said i was a priority.
2 hours later a rac van turned up, thats not a priority imo.
He did get it workin thou.

Another time my audi s4 failed to start, on the drive.
Called the rac, 1 hour later a motormove truck arrived (7.5 ton waggon) he tried to jump start it, i had told him its not the batt, but he ignorned me.
He then offered to tow the car to his recovery yard? I phoned them expecting a mech to try and find the fault not offer to garage the car till they can find a mech to fault find!
I declined his offer and had an audi spec fix it on my drive the day after.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4793
I called them on monday as my 924 broke down (again :evil: ) on the way home from work. The call centre operator said i'd be a "priority" call-out, be there in about 1.5 - 2 hours. Errr, dont think thats what id call priority ( not on a nice monday evening, about half four, perhaps at 8am in cold weather at home maybe), nor would i say they're particularly good at map reading as they got my location wrong so the mech spent about 45 mins trying to find me on duff info, which also went to the recovery driver (also spent about 45 mins looking for me) as the mech couldn't tow me home. :evil: :evil: :evil:

2005 Ford Fiesta ZetecS 1.6TDCi Red, standard, also with "Rally Pig" sticker.