Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Porsche-approved tyres available
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:18 am 

TIPEC membership: 9059
I have a set of brand-new Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT tyres that are Porsche NO-rated, in 235x45x18 and 265x45x18. Unfortunately, the extra 5% aspect ratio over OEM means that they won't fit the front suspension of my 987 Boxster. Would anyone know which model Porsche they suit? Better yet, would anyone like to buy them at a considerable discount from the new price?

Thanks,

Nick

Post subject: Re: Porsche-approved tyres available
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:56 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Did you eventually sell it and purchase new ones? A wide selection of passenger tires can be found at 4wheelonline. Toyo R888, ContiPremiumContact, and Michelin Pilot Sport are among the best options to consider for your Porsche.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:01 am 

autonoob wrote:
Did you eventually sell it and purchase new ones? A wide selection of passenger tires can be found at 4wheelonline. Toyo R888, ContiPremiumContact, and Michelin Pilot Sport are among the best options to consider for your Porsche.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did buy some ContiPremiumContact tyres in 45% aspect ratio and 10mm narrower than standard and they fitted without spacers and have made the ride significantly less harsh. I still have the 45% Dunlops because no-one wanted them and may possibly use them in the future with spacers. Apparently, the 45s were fitted to the later Caymans up to 2016 if I remember correctly, which is presumably why they have Porsche rating.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:21 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
nickst4 wrote:
autonoob wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did buy some ContiPremiumContact tyres in 45% aspect ratio and 10mm narrower than standard and they fitted without spacers and have made the ride significantly less harsh. I still have the 45% Dunlops because no-one wanted them and may possibly use them in the future with spacers. Apparently, the 45s were fitted to the later Caymans up to 2016 if I remember correctly, which is presumably why they have Porsche rating.

That's a good choice. You may want to create an ad on Facebook if you want to get rid of your Dunlops, but it's your choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:02 am 

No-one on ebay took any notice over several weeks: I'm not surprised as I wouldn't buy tyres off ebay either! Being old and cynical, I don't do Facebook, so I guess the tyres will just stay in the shed until I wear the Contis out and then I might try them with spacers. At the current rate of usage and tyre wear, that should be around 2030!

Nick