Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: front brake disc removal 3.2 supersport
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:14 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi,
Can anybody help me with the removal of the front brake discs, and pads, the pads seem to be held in with two fairly lage intertwined springs,Im not sure if they should just be levered apart or if there are so bits to remove first.
The brake disc and hub presumably come off together, but i'm not sure were to start, the centre of what i presume is the cap over the bearing has a threaded hole in the centre of it, I wondered if a bolt should be threaded into it to force the cap off. Will be gratefull for any tips.

Cheers

Mike.

Post subject: Re: front brake disc removal 3.2 supersport
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm 

Skype ID: kathyfoat
Hi,

I looked at this the other day, it's a bit helpful, it looks like the spring folds down somehow to me.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... r-and-ABS/

I'm sure someone else on here can give you better advice but something is better than nothing right now huh!

1970 VW Bay Window Camper
1970 Semi Auto Beetle, Lowered, Diamond Blue, Cookie Cutters, Daily Driver from 1994-2007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:25 pm 

daniells wrote:
Hi,
Can anybody help me with the removal of the front brake discs, and pads, the pads seem to be held in with two fairly lage intertwined springs,Im not sure if they should just be levered apart or if there are so bits to remove first.
The brake disc and hub presumably come off together, but i'm not sure were to start, the centre of what i presume is the cap over the bearing has a threaded hole in the centre of it, I wondered if a bolt should be threaded into it to force the cap off. Will be gratefull for any tips.

Cheers

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:26 am 

Ok from memory, supersport brakes are same as turbo,vented discs etc
you need to squeeze together the spring in the middle whilst pushing bottom edge with screwdriver . Bottom edge sits under clip. This will allow the clip to pivot upwards,note you will have to disconnect the pad wear sensor(buy new they always break with age) you can then remove pins, after leavering pads back into caliper to make pistons move into caliper ,remember to take off brake fluid cap and check you have enough space for fluid to go (alternatively crack bleed nipple and drain fluid into container). Next take out caliper bolts and hang caliper from spring. Remove bolts for caliper mounting arm and take off.
Remove cap from hub, prise off with screwdriver or use self tapper in centre hole to lever off. Unlock bearing clamp with allen key and remove clamp. Take off hub and disc and then unbolt disc from hub. Clean it all up and reassemble
Have a look on pelicanparts.com i think they may have a how to article
If in any doubt get someone from local region with knowledge to help you, we are a friendly helpfull bunch in TIPEC