Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Window and sunroof switches
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
The interior of my 928 is lovely, except for the fact that the writing has worn off the switches for the windows/sunroof/rear wiper.
These switches are over £200 for the set from Porsche. Is there any other solution, such as stickers? I can't find any on the internet. They could even go above and below the switches on the console, as I doubt you could stick them on the switches themselves.

Post subject: Re: Window and sunroof switches
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:26 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Two solutions Lightning:

1) Google "Hooked On Cars" run by Nicole who is a 928 owner.

She usually sells the "decals" but as of two weeks ago reported they were temporarily unavailable, but she hoped to have stock soon. maybe shoot her email checking when they may be in.

2) My mate Steve Jones in same Central region swears they are identical switches as used in Renault Megane. He showed me ones he'd bought for his 928 and they were the same - I think he just had to modify the connector to plug into loom. Maybe he'll pop up to verify this. The Renault switches cost rather less than Porsche item...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:41 pm 

Hi :)

I replaced a couple of mine recently...one i got from Porsche....around £36 from memory....another with a good diagram on was £15 from ebay...

When you install them by the way, they come with a massive fly lead that is MEANT to plug into the next join way way in behind the centre console, but having replaced a few of these , I have found it a LOT easier to just lever up the switch....pull out enough lead then cut it and join the new one with electrical connectors (plus solder if you wish)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:41 pm 

I decided to bite the bullet and order a set from Porsche. The originals have lasted 20 years, and it's the only thing wrong with the interior. plus one of the window switches is a bit dodgy.

They cost £35 each plus VAT, as mentioned above. This is with the Porsche Club discount.

Last edited by lightning on Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 pm 

TIPEC membership: 1007
Skype ID: stepa1007
stratfordshark wrote:
Two solutions Lightning:

1) Google "Hooked On Cars" run by Nicole who is a 928 owner.

She usually sells the "decals" but as of two weeks ago reported they were temporarily unavailable, but she hoped to have stock soon. maybe shoot her email checking when they may be in.

Been looking at the site for ages. Its going to cost me a fortune.

Stephen

Member since 1996
Club Chairman 1999 - early 2005
North East RO 1996 - 2002
North East ARO 2002 - 2005
TiPEC LIFE MEMBER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:32 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5406
Hi,
Do you know what year of Megane your mate had?

Thanks!
Regards
Paul

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

Location - Near Bath in South West

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 pm 

Found this link ... but would like to try and do it without soldering if I can. If switches can be leavered up and out then maybe I can do it without moving the console up too much? I should be able to get my hand in behind enough to unplug them. I can see one already.
All thoughts welcomed. Anything else I should do while I am in there?

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:39 pm 

You have to lift the console up at the back (where the switches are) as there is a metal plate underneath the switches that needs to be removed. You don't have to remove the console completely though, just lift it a couple of inches.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:54 pm 

Thanks Lightning ... got that bit sorted, but found I have the wrong switches sadly, so cant finish her off.
Never mind will source some in the week and finish the job over Xmas.

Also started replacing the door rubber seal (outer seal along bottom of window). I didnt make a neat job of taking the metal frame off. I hope I can bend it straight again! At least I have a spare if I make a pigs ear of it.

Just fell over in on the ice and hurt myself, so giving up for the day to be looked after by the wife.

Another Tea I think is needed! ;-)

Regards
Paul

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:16 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4917
Hi Guys

I agree with Stafford Shark's 2 suggestions. I have a set of 928 switch stickers from Nicole @ Hooked on cars and they are like contact lens size with each decal on it. A great upgrade to make your cockpit look new & up to date.

My 928 S4 1989 came with a slightly different window switch which I was told came from a Renault Megane by the garage who sold me the car. It had a newer style graphic on it which made it look out of place so I changed it - but it worked OK.

A word of warning when changing window switches, there is supposed to be a change in the switches design around MY89/MY90 which involces the number of wires in the switch cable. So be careful!

I have found a couple of spare switches off ebay quite succesfully as reserves, should mine start to fail at any point, without any problems for around £15 each.

The early S and S2's have a metal plate which you have to either lever the switch upwards from above or take the side panel off the centre console and push up the switch from underneath. Either way you can do this without removing the metal plate.

On Later cars and S4's there is a flush fitting plastic plate screwed into the center console base plastic frame. Again you remove the switches the same way just by prising them upwards from above and pushing from underneath with your fingers via the side of the console with the side panel removed.

If your switches have stopped working or you need to press down hard for them to work, then check out Rennlist as there is an articly on there which details how you can remove some of the high edges of the switch surround and let the switch move lower to make conacts work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Steve Jones

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm 

I walked into the problem with the number of wires. They also change to micro switches from the older contact type switches.
I ended up getting a pair from Roger at 928RUS ... due any day now :-)

Regards
Paul

Gone but not forgotten:
1986 944 Lux
1988 944 Lux

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am 

TIPEC membership: 4917
Since these window switch overlay decals were NLA available from Nicole in the USA we have now started production of these and you can order them here at the Woodypeck 928 shop!

Attachment:
de8.jpg
de8.jpg [ 99.48 KiB | Viewed 5872 times ]

Attachment:
de6.jpg
de6.jpg [ 100.19 KiB | Viewed 5872 times ]

Bizman928 wrote:
Hi Guys

I agree with Stafford Shark's 2 suggestions. I have a set of 928 switch stickers from Nicole @ Hooked on cars and they are like contact lens size with each decal on it. A great upgrade to make your cockpit look new & up to date.

My 928 S4 1989 came with a slightly different window switch which I was told came from a Renault Megane by the garage who sold me the car. It had a newer style graphic on it which made it look out of place so I changed it - but it worked OK.

A word of warning when changing window switches, there is supposed to be a change in the switches design around MY89/MY90 which involves the number of wires in the switch cable. So be careful!

I have found a couple of spare switches off ebay quite successfully as reserves, should mine start to fail at any point, without any problems for around £15 each.

The early S and S2's have a metal plate which you have to either lever the switch upwards from above or take the side panel off the centre console and push up the switch from underneath. Either way you can do this without removing the metal plate.

On Later cars and S4's there is a flush fitting plastic plate screwed into the centre console base plastic frame. Again you remove the switches the same way just by prising them upwards from above and pushing from underneath with your fingers via the side of the console with the side panel removed.

If your switches have stopped working or you need to press down hard for them to work, then check out Rennlist as there is an article on there which details how you can remove some of the high edges of the switch surround and let the switch move lower to make contacts work correctly.

Hope this helps.

Steve Jones

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs