Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refurbishing wheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9170
When I bought my 928, I got 2 sets of wheels with it - bonus!!

I *think* the ones that are on the car at the moment are Cup 2 wheels, and the extra set that I got are some flat wheels (according to https://928.org.uk/60-wheels.html)

The flat wheels are in really bad condition so I’d like to get them refurbished, but does anybody know what finish they’re supposed to have? I’ve seen pictures of some 928 flat wheels with a polished finish, and others with a kind-of Matt silver finish. How did they come from the factory? (Because I’d like to have them refurbished to look original).

Are tyre sizes a bit of an issue for these wheels? I went to blackcircles.com to have a look, and they recommended the 245/50 R16 Z for the wheels (of which it didn’t have any tyres!), but I noted on the 928.org.uk page that they say the rear tyres should be 245/45 R16, of which there are only a couple of options.

2018 (67) BMW X5 30d (daily driver)

Follow my bits of restoration on the 928 on Twitter at @928_UK

Post subject: Re: Refurbishing wheels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Hi Alex

The flat ‘manhole covers’ were forged wheels with an anodised finish, so sort of matt silver. I’ve also seen some painted body colour from factory (at least on white cars).

Some owners do change the look to polished/chrome. Very much matter of personal taste - I’ve seen dark coloured 928s where this looks great too!

If you’re determined to go original, I know other owners have struggled to find a refurb place that does anodising. Probably why you see so many conversions to Cup wheels and other designs. Another factor is the difficulty finding more than one or two choices of tyre in the correct size you quoted. Suggest you ask for recommendations in the 928.org email list or search archives of that list.