Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:06 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Interior lighting - dome lights and in the doors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9170
Wondering if anyone can help; I don't have any interior lighting in the car, which is going to become more of a problem now the nights are dragging in.

Initially, I thought that the bulbs had gone over time so I ordered some new festoon bulbs (LED, but that shouldn't matter), and have fitted them today. I got the light in-between the front visors to come on for a short while, but on putting it back into the roof it's stopped working, and I can't get any joy out of the other lights.

Any tips please?

I've read on Rennlist that some people are replacing the dome lights with VW alternatives as the OEM ones are a bit fragile - has anybody done that here?

Thanks as always!

2018 (67) BMW X5 30d (daily driver)

Follow my bits of restoration on the 928 on Twitter at @928_UK

Post subject: Re: Interior lighting - dome lights and in the doors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
The original dome lights tend to warp with heat, so you end up with unreliable connections.

I experimented with VW units, but I like originality!

A couple of my interior lights had warped, so replaced those with new and installed LED festoons like the ones you’ve bought in all fittings including above CE panel. They run cold so no further probs with warping, and if I forget to turn them all off when working on car with door open no risk of flat battery as total power about 5W v 50W with conventional bulbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:23 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I also had interior lights failing. The roof one (between the visors) would switch to ON, or OFF but the auto position would remain off, unless I pushed it, then go off again when released. This and the tailgate area one that was simply solid and wouldn't switch at all were both the result of corrosion, basically due to the appallingly cheap and nasty design of the Hella originals. I say cheap design as they are not cheap to buy. I then read many others having issues with these old Hella units which apparently can fail and short out, causing the fuse to blow I guess.

Like you I read about some VW ones that can be used instead. I don't have the pictures to hand, but they're all plastic rather than the very corrodable metal of the originals, they switch longitudinally rather than side to side and have icons at each end and in the middle indicating what the positions mean - again, more than you got with the originals that helpfully are On at both side positions when the doors are open so impossible to determine which is permanent on and which is the auto position. As you can tell, I think the originals are a crummy design and badly made.

The problem with the VW replacements is that they require a connector rather than the individual spades. With the correct connector housing and terminals to crimp on, this is not a problem, but I don't know what the connector is and/or from where to obtain them. I have however ordered some of these lights and once received, I will attempt to locate a source for their connectors. You can get the connector on a small length of lead from a US supplier, but $21 each is I believe too steep a price, especially when the lights themselves only cost about £4 each. In does however indicate the required connector can be obtained. So I await delivery of my new lights to then try and find a source of connectors.

In the meantime, if you remove a faulty light (just lever it out of the panel and remove the wires) you will probably be able to spot the problem. I found a bit of WD40 freed up the one that was seized and it is now fully functional. But it will be replaced anyway with the new VW ones that will also be fitted with LED bulbs. Be aware though that the VW lights take a shorter (36mm I think) festoon than the originals which I believe are 42mm. I did read of someone modifying the VW ones to take 42mm bulbs (as I think he already had them), but if buying new, just go straight for the shorter ones would make sense.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:02 pm 

When I was experimenting with the VW dome lights (they are a nice design as Ken says), I made connections using insulated female spade connectors. I crimped suitable connectors on to the car end so that I didn’t have to alter the original 928 loom.

Also you sometimes see ones on eBay with the VW loom attached, so you can just chop this off and have ready made pigtail.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:19 pm 

stratfordshark wrote:
When I was experimenting with the VW dome lights (they are a nice design as Ken says), I made connections using insulated female spade connectors. I crimped suitable connectors on to the car end so that I didn’t have to alter the original 928 loom.

Also you sometimes see ones on eBay with the VW loom attached, so you can just chop this off and have ready made pigtail.

Yes indeed I had thought that I could perhaps just use some other suitable terminals. Worst case, that's what I'll do, but I'd prefer to find the right connectors if I can. I'm used to having to do this with a lot of current automotive connectors, so I'm hopeful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:01 pm 

Hi all, glad it’s not just my car then!

Which VW light did you go for?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:27 am 

AlexS wrote:
Hi all, glad it’s not just my car then!

Which VW light did you go for?

I need to look up the year, but they were from a Passat. Probably used on other VW from that era.

I got grey one to match my interior, but the vw part for black ones is 7D0 947 291 B B41

Here's one on ebay now, with the connector:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3b0947291-Re ... SwHoNfe0Et

Or brand new from those reasonably priced people in China, with brand new pigtails:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Rear-Read ... SwyKlfPM9g

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 pm 

I believe you can buy original Hella from Just campers for about £10 each

I lied £10 for 2
https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-w ... -1990.html

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 pm 

Waylander wrote:

I lied £10 for 2

Great price if (like me) you like the originals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:52 pm 

I have some of those in my 968, hey say Hella on them, fitted with quality LED lovely, I do like original, when it’s worth having

As for the new original front struts that’s another story

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:33 pm 

Waylander wrote:

I lied £10 for 2

Thanks for the link! I’ve been wondering what to do about the doors so will get a couple of these. They’re showing as out of stock at the moment but I’ll order them for when they’re back in :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:35 pm 

stratfordshark wrote:
I got grey one to match my interior, but the vw part for black ones is 7D0 947 291 B B41

I’ve ordered some black ones for the roof (front and back), so will let you know how I get on. I found a product code for the connectors too, so again will let you know how I get on! Hopefully they’ll come in the next few days...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:00 am 

AlexS wrote:
stratfordshark wrote:

I’ve ordered some black ones for the roof (front and back), so will let you know how I get on. I found a product code for the connectors too, so again will let you know how I get on! Hopefully they’ll come in the next few days...

Could you let us know the product code you found for the connectors. Is that for the housing, or the terminals, or both?

Have you found a supplier of the connector parts? I was waiting to receive the lights before trying to find something that fit, but if you have already identified them, would be good to know so I can try and obtain some for when the lights arrive.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 am 

UKenGB wrote:
AlexS wrote:
stratfordshark wrote:

Could you let us know the product code you found for the connectors. Is that for the housing, or the terminals, or both?

Have you found a supplier of the connector parts? I was waiting to receive the lights before trying to find something that fit, but if you have already identified them, would be good to know so I can try and obtain some for when the lights arrive.

Sure! Like you, I was waiting until they got here so I could make sure they were right, but I found these:

Black lights: https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/ ... 28877.html

Connectors: https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/ ... 37212.html

Hopefully they'll be with me early next week, so I'll be able to say whether they're right or not then..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:14 pm 

I battled through the alternative design options as I quite agree that the original design was very poor, I found that the interior light from a Peugeot 206 base model is a dead ringer for the original and a much nicer design. It’s about 1.5 mm longer than the original but works beautifully, especially with a LED lamp soldered in. I’d post a picture if I could work out how to reduce the file size from my phone!