Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:21 am
Classic Line Insurance


All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm
Posts: 10
TIPEC membership: 8128
Hello All

My radiator on my little 1980 928S is leaking (the lot comes out in a day standing :shock: ), I was hoping for a hose but on investigation it's clearly the rad. A Porsche one appears to be circa £2000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone got experience of ally after market ones like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303281192971

Cheers

Pete


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:43 pm
Posts: 12573
Location: Chatham, Kent
TIPEC membership: 4190
Find out where your local radiator specialist is, they'll offer a rebuild or replacement. Or contact your local Serck Marston outlet.

_________________
Jim

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm
Posts: 140
Location: notts
TIPEC membership: 6909
nwns wrote:
Hello All

My radiator on my little 1980 928S is leaking (the lot comes out in a day standing :shock: ), I was hoping for a hose but on investigation it's clearly the rad. A Porsche one appears to be circa £2000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone got experience of ally after market ones like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303281192971

Cheers

Pete

Bought one some time back Great bit of kit ,fantastic shipping and well package not fitted yet.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 pm
Posts: 2408
Location: BOURNEMOUTH
Hi :)

Paul Anderson at 928 spares normally has them at around £500 ish... http://www.928spares.co.uk/

All the best Brett :)

_________________
928S2 AUTO V8 4.7 1986-XPIPES ANDERSON RACE EXHAUST,K&N, WIZARDS OF NOS MAXX RACE CONTROLLER & WON RACE REVO NITROUS KIT 2000 HP CAPABLE.
-UK 928 1/4 Mile and Top Speed Record Holder-208.10 mph- Email managingdirector@pchealthcare.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:02 pm
Posts: 10
TIPEC membership: 8128
Thanks all, have put the word out with a few locals and will call Paul Anderson next week.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:25 pm
Posts: 537
Location: Walsall, West Mids.
TIPEC membership: 7576
Radtec in Cannock may be able to help.

David

_________________
Largie
Porsche 968 Coupe
BRA 289 Cobra Replica
Radical PR6
1928 Delage DR 70 Saloon
LandRover Discovery Sport


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:47 pm
Posts: 7
TIPEC membership: 9393
Hi,
Had my 79 928 have that dreaded blue bloom on the radiator after a period of storage (2yrs.). Managed to get the radiator recored and oil tubes pressure tested for under £300 not bad considering a new one is over £450 +VAT.
Try Serck heat exchangers I think they are about the country, mine was Newcastle and they couldn't have been more helpful.
(NB Be very careful undoing the oil connections, make sure you lock the fitting before turning nut. Be very gentle with the plastic ends, breaks make the radiator scrap)

Duncan

_________________
Duncan

NE region.

1979 Porsche 928 owner for 35 yrs

BMW X5

1953 little grey Fergy!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:23 pm
Posts: 911
Location: Essex
TIPEC membership: 7868
I can thoroughly recommend Coolex based in Nottingham- only ones willing to sort out my 944S2 oil cooler-some companies were just plain offensive in their response to an honest enquiry.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 4895
Location: Emsworth Hants
TIPEC membership: 993
Aviator1* wrote:
Hi,
Had my 79 928 have that dreaded blue bloom on the radiator after a period of storage (2yrs.). Managed to get the radiator recored and oil tubes pressure tested for under £300 not bad considering a new one is over £450 +VAT.
Try Serck heat exchangers I think they are about the country, mine was Newcastle and they couldn't have been more helpful.
(NB Be very careful undoing the oil connections, make sure you lock the fitting before turning nut. Be very gentle with the plastic ends, breaks make the radiator scrap)

Duncan

Serck are a proper old fashioned company, have been going for years great for all sorts of heat exchangers, air/air, air/water,oil/air,air/oil etc. Are/were original eqpt manufacturers to many automotive/marine and industrial businesses in the UK and the world, there are lots of branches around the UK, they are always very approachable and helpful, with fair prices and good turn round times.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:43 pm
Posts: 12573
Location: Chatham, Kent
TIPEC membership: 4190
sam wrote:
Aviator1* wrote:
Hi,
Had my 79 928 have that dreaded blue bloom on the radiator after a period of storage (2yrs.). Managed to get the radiator recored and oil tubes pressure tested for under £300 not bad considering a new one is over £450 +VAT.
Try Serck heat exchangers I think they are about the country, mine was Newcastle and they couldn't have been more helpful.
(NB Be very careful undoing the oil connections, make sure you lock the fitting before turning nut. Be very gentle with the plastic ends, breaks make the radiator scrap)

Duncan

Serck are a proper old fashioned company, have been going for years great for all sorts of heat exchangers, air/air, air/water,oil/air,air/oil etc. Are/were original eqpt manufacturers to many automotive/marine and industrial businesses in the UK and the world, there are lots of branches around the UK, they are always very approachable and helpful, with fair prices and good turn round times.

Don't know if they still do but they used to refurb fuel tanks as well.

_________________
Jim

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2005 Porsche Cayenne S
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:15 pm
Posts: 2408
Location: BOURNEMOUTH
Hi Jim :)

I doubt they will do a 928 fuel tank as it is plastic :)

All the best Brett :)

_________________
928S2 AUTO V8 4.7 1986-XPIPES ANDERSON RACE EXHAUST,K&N, WIZARDS OF NOS MAXX RACE CONTROLLER & WON RACE REVO NITROUS KIT 2000 HP CAPABLE.
-UK 928 1/4 Mile and Top Speed Record Holder-208.10 mph- Email managingdirector@pchealthcare.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 4895
Location: Emsworth Hants
TIPEC membership: 993
Just had a look, they seem to have closed most of their local depots, and are now running from fewer larger regional centres............................I hope they can still offer the great service they are known for :shock: :(


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 radiator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:22 pm
Posts: 10
TIPEC membership: 0
Did you manage to get your rad sorted? I have a leak, looking at options. There's these chaps in Notts that have been suggested to me that do a 928 rad:
https://performanceradiators.co.uk/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group