Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Folding door mirrors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
A little while ago I discovered that the mirrors on my 1984 S2 were actually intended to fold. Previously they had been solid with corrosion. Having cleaned and greased and repainted both sides ( and yes I know about the run mark in the photo) I find that the off side now folds close to the body nicely. the NS however is too low and fouls on the body after a few degrees. Has any one any idea whats wrong? I wondered if the NS mirror had been retro fitted by a dealer as I see that the workshop manual carries instructions for the retrofitting of mirrors, presumably on early models when it was still a novelty to have two door mirrors and some one had botched cutting the hole in the door skin and pretended it was OK or maybe the car has been repaired and its a new skin and the repairer botched the hole location.
Another random thought: the parts list mentions 911 prefixed parts, is the mirror pedestal off another model altogether.
Any ideas how to sort it gratefully recieved.

Attachments:
pig ns mirror.jpg
pig ns mirror.jpg [ 96.79 KiB | Viewed 4558 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Folding door mirrors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:29 am 

TIPEC membership: 4098
Don't know anything about the 928, but the door mirrors on my 924 fold the same as yours. I can only think that the reason that they are not symmetrical is that the driver sits closer to the offside mirror, so it needs to be at a different height to get the best view out.

David