Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 928 laid up - no use for 5 years
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:23 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi all. For some time I have been aware of a 928 parked up in a secure dry garage following the passing away of the owner around 5 years ago. I understand that the car was used for a short time after the owners passing and hasn't been used since. The legal owner of the 928 is the gentleman so widow and she will shortly be looking to dispose of the car. The lady in question is fully aware of my involvement in Porsche cars and cars in general, and is going to view the car and ask me to suggest potential ways of disposing of it. I believe the car in question is a 928 GTS and when it was laid up was in superb condition with a full history file. I once had a ride in it many years ago. There is a suggestion that the car may have some form of special body kit fitted but I am unsure on this point and it's so long since I have seen the car I can't remember.

I have no experience with this model of Porsche but I am fully aware of Paul Anderson in Stroud.

If the car hasn't been used for 4 or more years then I imagine it will be in poor condition mechanically having not been run. I would be reluctant to try and start it, even with a jump kit. As well as the tyres no longer being round I suspect that the brakes will be seized and the fuel/water systems will need a purge at the very least.

I am open to all suggestions on this, should I get it trailered to Paul Anderson for a re-commissioning cost? Simple advise disposing of it as is or do I make an offer and take a punt on it? What are the things that could be problems on a 928 that has been laid up for so long? Are a full set of spares still available for this model?

All comments and advice welcome. I hope to be viewing the car in a month or 2.

TIA

Post subject: Re: 928 laid up - no use for 5 years
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:36 am 

Hi :)

If its a GTS with FSH its worth SERIOUS MONEY...way above 20k...

Paul A has his own recovery truck...personally I would get him to collect it and recondition it....

It will probably cost a couple of thousand tops, but well worth it financially....

A picture would help, about the body kit as if an an example its a STROSEK kit its worth more....

If you say which area its in...most 928 owners are very helpful and would look at it for free with you...I would...I am in Bournemouth ....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:42 pm 

Would that be the X??? Wide arch kit that was factory special order and Brett is the fount of knowledge on these cars and if it is a GTS keep its location a secret!

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 pm 

Many thanks for all the tips and comments so far. I called Paul Anderson who was exceptionally helpful and gave me a number of things to look at when I finally get to see the car. He thinks to budget a minimum of 5K for the work and he recommended not starting the engine etc. Paul offered to collect the car and take it to his workshop for a full assessment.

I now need to gain access to the car to start moving this along. I will keep everyone updated once this happens, particularly if this does turn out to be something special body kit wise.

Please keep the comments and help coming. Many thanks to all who have chipped in so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:52 pm 

Hi :)

We REALLY need a photo to comment more... there are big differences between the engines for example.... early = 16 valve.... late = 32 valve...

But as Paul said...do NOT start it until someone has looked at it...

All the best Brett :)