Treasurer

Porsche 928 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 944 S2 (SOLD)

Porsche 924s (Track Day toy)
Porsche 924 Martini (New project)
Porsche Cayenne S (Daily driver)

Post subject: Re: Value?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:00 am 

I don't think the S and S2 models are rising in value the same way the S4 and very early cars are (or maybe there just aren't so many of them for sale).

I also think that cosmetic condition is very important for buyers and you don't mention that.

So my guess would be £5k tops. But bear in mind that any secondhand object is worth as much as the next buyer is prepared to pay, so you could advertise it for £8k and see if there's any interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:49 pm 

Hi :)

As its an 86 S2 like mine, with the S4 suspension/brakes etc, its worth more than a standard S2....

Prices ARE rising , so my guess (without pics and assuming its in good nick)

..... Somewhere between 5K to 10K .....

The way to judge it, is to look around for a replacement (say if yours was written off) ....

You will NOT find an 86 for less than 5K.....and one in good nick (IF you can find one) ...7 or 8 or 9 or 10k ....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:21 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I'd agree with Brett.

With project S2's around £3K like the one below, and by the time fresh paint, leather, mechanicals and all electrics have been straightened you are probably looking at £9K - £10K currently.

http://www.jmgporsche.co.uk/index.php/m ... rade/928s2

Porsche 928 GT - MY90
Ferrari Mondial T - MY89
Porsche 928 S4 - MY88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm 

Beau wrote:
I'd agree with Brett.

With project S2's around £3K like the one below, and by the time fresh paint, leather, mechanicals and all electrics have been straightened you are probably looking at £9K - £10K currently.

Sorry, I think that's overly optimistic. Assume you buy a project S2 for £2.5k (I've knocked a bit off JMG's price as they're a dealer and you wouldn't expect to pay so much in a private sale) and put £5k into paint and tidying, you aren't going to make back the full cost of the work when you sell it so it's worth about £6k.

Not many pre-S4s for sale but here's one on autotrader for £7k from a dealer (OK it's missing its front spoiler but we'll ignore that). Take off £1k as it's being sold by a dealer and another £1k as this car has just had a respray and you're back to the £5k that I suggested Paul's car is probably worth.

At the end of the day an '86 S2 is still an S2 and I just don't think they're as desirable as the later shape cars - look at the photos from recent meets such as Tilford and the Merry Miller and see how few S & S2 cars there are - consequently the prices for the earlier models aren't as high unless you you have an exceptional example e.g. concours condition ultra low mileage etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:48 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
bmjb wrote:
Beau wrote:
I'd agree with Brett.

Sorry, I think that's overly optimistic. Assume you buy a project S2 for £2.5k (I've knocked a bit off JMG's price as they're a dealer and you wouldn't expect to pay so much in a private sale) and put £5k into paint and tidying, you aren't going to make back the full cost of the work when you sell it so it's worth about £6k.

Not many pre-S4s for sale but here's one on autotrader for £7k from a dealer (OK it's missing its front spoiler but we'll ignore that). Take off £1k as it's being sold by a dealer and another £1k as this car has just had a respray and you're back to the £5k that I suggested Paul's car is probably worth.

At the end of the day an '86 S2 is still an S2 and I just don't think they're as desirable as the later shape cars - look at the photos from recent meets such as Tilford and the Merry Miller and see how few S & S2 cars there are - consequently the prices for the earlier models aren't as high unless you you have an exceptional example e.g. concours condition ultra low mileage etc.

Good luck to the buyer who intends to deduct circa 30% from the sticker price of that S2 :) Even dealers need to eat.

I just walked away from a straight GP White '85 S2 from a dealer, as there final price after considerable negotiation was £5,325.
It still needed around £2.5K spending on it to bring it upto par. Paint was fine.

Have purchased another S4 in GP White instead :)

Porsche 928 GT - MY90
Ferrari Mondial T - MY89
Porsche 928 S4 - MY88

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 am 

Hi

I agree with Brett

Advised PSB to go at about £8k.

He thought I was mad and so put the thread on here

I have seen the car, been in the car and chased the car. It goes very well indeed.

Had loads of money spent on it

Just needs more use.

Also needs a little TLC, just like me