Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:48 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 928 S4 - Power steering pipe replacement
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6582
Hi all,

My 928 S4 power steering pipes are leaking, I believe you can get replacements.

Can anyone advise how and where I can get them, I believe getting with a swivel head makes fitting easier and better.

Mine are leaking, so loads of mess.

cheers

Neil

Post subject: Re: 928 S4 - Power steering pipe replacement
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I had to do this, best getting them from OPC. There is a restrictor on one of them, can't remember which? If one leaks, they can spray fluid onto the manifold and cause a fire. I'll try and find my photos. They're a real pain to fit, set aside a full weekend for it. Make sure you get the right fluid too, I can't remember what it is. :roll:

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:26 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6582
Hi Lee,

Your advice will be very useful, not looking forward to the job, it is Oil Muck Hell in that corner. Did not know ATF was a special type, I thought is was just same as auto box.

cheers
Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:52 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
This was my thread, I'll look for photos.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
neilbennet944 wrote:
Hi all,

My 928 S4 power steering pipes are leaking, I believe you can get replacements.

Can anyone advise how and where I can get them, I believe getting with a swivel head makes fitting easier and better.

Mine are leaking, so loads of mess.

cheers

Neil

Have you identified which line is leaking and where?

It's usually the high pressure line from pump to rack. The swivel heads thing is if you choose to have local Pirtek place replace the hose part only, and use the old fittings. Originals are angled so banjo bolts are square on pump and rack. It's very precise so swivel fittings give you leeway. If you obtain complete line from Porsche the ends are fixed as they are at correct angle.

The job is more difficult if the engine mounts are collapsed. I was fortunate that I had to do it after new mounts had been fitted not long before, so there was fair amount of space where the pressure line runs along crossmember.

Make sure to fit new copper crush washers at both ends of the line if it is that one leaking. They are very cheap from OPC and even cheaper to just get standard metric ones with correct internal diameter. Non Porsche ones have slightly larger external diameter but that makes no difference so they are fine for this application.

To disconnect pressure line at rack you have to unbolt the anti roll bar bushing to provide space at that point on rack. Just unbolt on one side and swing it away to give enough room to get socket on banjo bolt at rack. Don't miss the small clamp (secured by 10mm nut) holding solid line to side of engine bay where the line travels straight up.

It's a weird shaped line but everything fits together perfectly.

Get car as high as you can (safely). It's a real limbo dance doing job with just axle stands.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am 

TIPEC membership: 5535
Quote:
Did not know ATF was a special type, I thought is was just same as auto box.

It's Dexron III and is the same as what you need for the autobox. You'll be able to pick it up at halfords and a lot of service stations.

As others have mentioned the high pressure line is a common source of a leak. However don't rule out the intake hose between the reservoir and the pump or the other cooler pipe from the reservoir. If there is a pool at the front passenger side look here. If the leak is here it should also be pretty visible if you look under the hood. The pipes from under the reservoir, inside wall of the front wing, front of engine may all be caked with years of old dirty fluid build up.

For me the cause of my leak was the intake pipe between the PS reservoir and the PS Pump. I replaced that for about £20 I think. Once back together I found that the PS pump was also not working. I think I may have starved it of fluid and killed it. I then swapped the pump over and now have working PS with no leaks.

Regardless of which line is leaking if you are going to be doing work on the PS, consider changing the intake hose and also the reservoir itself as these are fairly cheap and will help future proof you a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:17 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I replaced the high pressure one about four years ago, Porsche part was expensive, so took the old hose complete to Pirtek,s they made a complete new one up from the old one which included swivel fittings in order to orientate it into the correct position after fitting the hose loosely, I paid £45

Ken