Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: New forum member Old 928s many woes and lots of parts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:37 am 

TIPEC membership: 6909
Hi Jezzyjet great work . What I have done on both my S4s when refitting the rear splash panels I have used some boot lip /tail gate edge seal to put along the edges of the panels to seal on to the outer edges of the wings and the inner wings to fill the gap that's on the standard panels and then just run a lip of windscreen sealer along that and then hay press stow especially on the N/S B post were they are prone to rot when removed three years later still clean wax oil showing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:05 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Guys

Just an update ,When I got the car in my garage I set myself 3 months to complete the project , well the good news is the first stage of bodywork prep is going well and on schedule ,I set myself a dead line of mid-September to get the top coat on the car as after this time I feel the weather will be cooling down considerably and spraying days will be few and far between .I have been desperate to get the car ready for paint and I estimate I have around another 6-10 hours of work to do before I can start to spray the primer ,Fingers crossed for good weather !

More pics soon

Jezzy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 pm 

Hi Guys, Just a couple of hours work away from spraying now, I decided to buy a flexible long block sander and really went to town flatting all the panels its amazing how it really finds the high and low spots that the Da and the short sanding block missed ! I will be applying 2 coats of Acid etch on all the bare metal then 2 coats of high build primer over everything, After spraying a guide coat I will leave the primer for a day to set and then block sand with 500 grit paper ready for 3 coats of top coat , Well that's the plan anyway but as things evolve who knows!!

Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: Flat as F$$k !! Super sanded with the long block
Sanded.JPG
Sanded.JPG [ 87.25 KiB | Viewed 8311 times ]
File comment: The sunroof remover all cleaned up and ready for paint
Sunroof.JPG
Sunroof.JPG [ 122.85 KiB | Viewed 8311 times ]
File comment: Replaced all the broken bolts on the front and rear bumper covers
Bumper brackets.JPG
Bumper brackets.JPG [ 153.52 KiB | Viewed 8311 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 pm 

Hi Guys

Finally the paint is going on !! After hours of masking up into the small hours of Saturday morning I have started to apply the acid etch and high build primer tonight (Saturday) I will be spraying the primer in 3 phases due to time and space constraints ,Firstly the rear quarters,hatch and door shuts ,sills and drivers door, Second phase will be the passenger door ,roof and front wings and bonnet ,and last the rear hatch and bumper covers ,mirrors etc. Hopefully the car will be in primer by Wednesday this week coming leaving me the rest of the week and next weekend to flat and prep for topcoat the following week,Fingers crossed all is looking good with no runs or trouble so far, Pictures to follow

Jezzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:49 pm 

Hi Guys

The Acid etch and high build primer is on the majority of the car, Just the bumper covers and sunroof etc to spray.The paint went on really well without a hitch and was left almost 24 hours to dry before a guide coat and a wet sand with 180 grit .I will be spraying another 2 coats of high build once flatted then flatted again with 400 grit ready for the top coat, Sorry about the hazy pic will post more when I can

Regards Jezzy

Attachments:
File comment: Smooth as a baby Butt !!!
Primer (2).JPG
Primer (2).JPG [ 78.92 KiB | Viewed 8263 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 pm 

Hi Guys ,,Long time no update !

Well I have been busy putting lots of hours in every evening until 2 am most nights, I have been a bit worried about the impending winter weather looming in the near future and I feel that I am at least 2 weeks behind my original target. Within the last week or so the evening temperatures in my garage have dropped to an average of 16c ,the ideal being 20c so I have installed a couple of fan heaters which at present easily raise the temp up to the desired target.The reason for the delays has been the discovery of small imperfections that even seem to evade even the magical "guide coat" and only show when the primer is wet sanded extra smooth with 800 grit ready for base coat ,at this stage the primer becomes quite shiny when viewed at angles exposing very slight undulations probably less than the depth of a Rizla paper but they will be blatantly obvious once the base goes on . I have been aiming at a top quality job but as I have never painted a complete car before I doubt that I will be winning any prizes in the "Best paint" category at any custom car shows !! However I was once told by a successful business man "If you don't aim high and think big you will only ever achieve small" On this principle I will hope to achieve better than a good respray and hopefully a lot better than the average orange peel specials that seem to be acceptable on almost all of today's modern manufactured cars!

I have down-loaded a couple of pics of my top coat efforts and I am quite pleased with the results as I have not even flatted them yet and they look good ,Sorry the pictures do no do them justice

Regards Jezzy

Attachments:
S5030656.JPG
S5030656.JPG [ 71.76 KiB | Viewed 8222 times ]
good result.JPG
good result.JPG [ 75.7 KiB | Viewed 8222 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:16 pm 

Hi Guys , Painting going well a few pics that do not do the finish justice but I am really pleased with the results

Jezzy

Attachments:
Happy with this finish.JPG
Happy with this finish.JPG [ 78.53 KiB | Viewed 8183 times ]
nice and shiney!.JPG
nice and shiney!.JPG [ 83.41 KiB | Viewed 8183 times ]
good finish.JPG
good finish.JPG [ 77.93 KiB | Viewed 8183 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:23 am 

TIPEC membership: 7458
She's looking good!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:23 pm 

Hi there,

Not bad considering its all been done in my dusty and really messy garage ,I get one or two small bits of crap in the paint now and again but nothing that has taken me more than a few minutes to rectify ,just have to be careful not to blow the dust about that's lying around I put plastic sheets up wherever I think the air pressure from the gun may deflect off the car and stir up a mess and I also dampen the floor a bit. I have had no runs either in the top coat which really surprised me as its the first car I have ever painted and I was expecting a few. So far so good anyway

Jezzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:38 pm 

You will end up the go to man for paint

Looking good I do love a white 928

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:02 pm 

Hi there,

The car is not actually white!(Technically) The camera just made it look like that, Its actually Chiffon white, which is more of a creamy colour I have never seen another 928 to date in this colour and its an original colour, I will be bias of course but I prefer it because its not as clinical looking as the pure white!! On the subject of "being the man to go to for paint" I take that as a huge compliment but the hours I have put into this so far too be competitive would probably put me on a national hourly wage the equivalent to a Mongolian sheep sheerer! I suppose you would get a lot faster with experience but I think I may stay with the job I do at the moment ,Lol It is totally true though that its all in the preparation a door takes only around a couple of minutes to spray per coat but one of my doors probably took me 12+ hours to prepare ! So definitely 99% prep 1% paint

Jezzy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:40 pm 

Absolutely
Prep is everything whether it's diy indoors or detailing or painting a car but your results considering your less than perfect facilities are very good

Big pat on the back for all the hard work can't wait to see the end result

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:53 pm 

Hi Guys

Just a bit of an update , All was going well until about 2 weeks after the colour went on and it started to really dry out then HORROR!! Small and large cracks started to appear on all the panel's, luckily just a few isolated spots but a real pain in the ass all the same. I contacted the manufacturer of the paint and found that the reason for the reaction was that the paint had been put on too thick in places, and also that I had put the high build primer on too thick as well! I think the problem was that not a lot of people use cellulose now and when I had done the research into the preparation and primer coats I had mixed advice concerning grades of sand paper to use and thickness of primer etc ,All this mixed info set me off on the wrong path, Saying that the faults that occurred are easily fixable and in the end will result in a much better job due to the additional flatting I will have done,

Will post more pics soon

Jezzy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:46 pm 

Hi Guys

Due to the bad weather of late I have decided to make a start on the timing belt and water-pump , I have started stripping the engine and on the way decided to clean up a few bits ,

Jezzy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6