Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:12 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mot Fail :(
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hi All :)

Took my car for an early Mot today and it failed...

A couple of tiny things like a fog light bulb and number plates (my fault as forgot to stick on my Velcroed legal ones)

But the main fail was a broken spring on the drivers side front....

I hadnt noticed any real difference with the actual driving, although as mine is lowered to the max amount I sometimes ground out on the engine undertrays, and I did recently ground out on a road on my way to work (that I regularly use) and was a little suprised to ground in a place thats normally fine.... I should have taken more notice lol...

Anyway I rang Paul Anderson and as always he came up trumps... a second hand S2 spring is already on its way....

Hopefully next week once I have fitted it, it will go through... :)

All the best Brett :)

Post subject: Re: Mot Fail :(
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4098
Hi Brett

Hope you get it fixed soon and get it through the MOT ready for the summer.

We had 2 broken springs on the rear of my son's MK1 Golf Cabby at the MOT a couple of years ago. Both springs were broken in 2 places. Didn't effect the driving though!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Becoming more & more common these days. Some cars when the spring goes it takes the sidewall of the tyre out! You'd certainly notice that :?

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 pm 

tr7v8 wrote:
Becoming more & more common these days. Some cars when the spring goes it takes the sidewall of the tyre out! You'd certainly notice that :?

Hi Jim :)

I might lol...as its a coil over shock, I should be ok until the new spring arrives as long as I dont drive over rough ground that would fully compress the broken spring.....I hope...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:12 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4623
I hate to say this, but as it's an MoT fail, then it has fail its test of roadworthiness.
If you get stopped and they establish it recently failed, then you do face prosecution for knowingly driving an unroadworthy vehicle.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Spring on my Saab Aero broke and Saab replaced front pair for free though car was almost 5 years old. They had so many fail they set up free replacement programme and I just qualified. Ditto on wife's Scenic so I swapped front pair on it (very easy compared with 928!). They don't make them like they used to. I have 4 brand new springs and shocks to put on my S4 but Brett's not having them!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 pm 

stratfordshark wrote:
Spring on my Saab Aero broke and Saab replaced front pair for free though car was almost 5 years old. They had so many fail they set up free replacement programme and I just qualified. Ditto on wife's Scenic so I swapped front pair on it (very easy compared with 928!). They don't make them like they used to. I have 4 brand new springs and shocks to put on my S4 but Brett's not having them!

Hi Adrian :)

Should I ring Porsche and see if they have a scheme for free replacements on 26 year old 928`s ..lol ?

I did consider new springs, but would have had to have done all four really...then 4 shocks, then knowing me probably 4 discs/calipers/pads etc etc...so plumped for one used one...

Unless of course you are selling your 4 sets really cheaply...lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:58 am 

TIPEC membership: 4635
You got my king leads off me for a song Brett so that's enough cheap parts from me!

I got one pair of brand new coils on eBay for about £120 I think which was amazing bargain. Other pair a great deal from one of the US suppliers, probably Roger.

I doubt Porsche will oblige. Come to think of it Saab did it our of goodwill even though I was past end of replacement programme, so I am part of reason they went bust!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 am 

TIPEC membership: 4260
Reading of lotd of spring breaking on various forums recently, I suspect the increase in numbers of speed bumps, I know my 407 failed its first (3 years old) MOT due to excessively worn ball joints which the tester put down to speed bumps