Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 928 lights
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm 

Hi folks.

Can someone advise me if the automatic gear selector should illuminate which gear has been selected or is it just the dash board that lights up? Only R,P and neutral light up on the dash, should the rest light up?

Thanks.

Martin.

Post subject: Re: 928 lights
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:50 pm 

Hi :)

The gear selector by the T handle does NOT light up...

The dash gear lights should ALL light up... its a dash out and new bulbs for the ones that are not lit...not an easy job but doable... plus you can choose different colours if you wish...I did :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Brett, I was also thinking of taking the dash out and replacing all the bulbs with led s, has anyone done this before? And how long would it take to take the dash out?

All the very best Mark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4917
map747 wrote:
Hi folks.

Can someone advise me if the automatic gear selector should illuminate which gear has been selected or is it just the dash board that lights up? Only R,P and neutral light up on the dash, should the rest light up?

Thanks.

Martin.

HI Martin

This is a common problem for the "D" on the dash to burn out since it is the most used bulb. There are several detailed listings both on here and on Nichols showing the full process of removing dash & then replacing bulbs.

As for the centre console, they DID light up on the early 928's. My first 928 - a 1980 - had the centre gear selector light up but when I bought both my S4's this function was omitted as they assume the dash lights will suffice. I did an upgrade where I got hold of one of the old selector light sets from an old 928 and fitted them to my 1988 S4. So now havece exactly what you originally asked for - both gear selector lights and dash lights too.

Very happy with the result as @ night the selector illumination is very useful.

Steve

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:01 pm 

Bizman928 wrote:
map747 wrote:
Hi folks.

Thanks.

Martin.

HI Martin

This is a common problem for the "D" on the dash to burn out since it is the most used bulb. There are several detailed listings both on here and on Nichols showing the full process of removing dash & then replacing bulbs.

As for the centre console, they DID light up on the early 928's. My first 928 - a 1980 - had the centre gear selector light up but when I bought both my S4's this function was omitted as they assume the dash lights will suffice. I did an upgrade where I got hold of one of the old selector light sets from an old 928 and fitted them to my 1988 S4. So now havece exactly what you originally asked for - both gear selector lights and dash lights too.

Steve

Hi STEVE :)

Thats very interesting, I am sure that a gear lever illuminated selector would sell extremely well if someone designed one that was relatively easy to fit...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:
Bizman928 wrote:
map747 wrote:
Hi folks.

Thanks.

Martin.

HI Martin

Steve

Thats very interesting, I am sure that a gear lever illuminated selector would sell extremely well if someone designed one that was relatively easy to fit...

Thanks Bret

I might just take up that challenge and look at designing something & offering it on here/ebay etc.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:42 pm 

All the best Brett :)[/quote]

Thanks Bret

I might just take up that challenge and look at designing something & offering it on here/ebay etc.

Steve[/quote]

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi Steve :)

I would definitely buy one and I am sure many others would, particularly if you could design it so that connecting was done to anywhere other than behind the dash (dash removal :( ).. Ecus maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
mark280 wrote:
Brett, I was also thinking of taking the dash out and replacing all the bulbs with led s, has anyone done this before? And how long would it take to take the dash out?

All the very best Mark

Hi Mark great to meet you at Tilford - hope those headlights still behaving!

Quite a few have replaced all the pod bulbs with LEDSs - I planned to do it on previous car but it never reached top of to do list. I did get the LEDs though or at least the 1.2w warning bulb replacements which come on same base (i have a note of base number somewhere). The illumination bulbs are 3 3W bulbs in a wedge socket - again standard so sure LED equivalent available.

With LEDS you have to be sure to get them right way round as they have polarity.

Tricky to replace gear bulbs with LED as they are also 1.2W but hard wired not socketed. Would need to include resistor to drop voltage as the gear indicators will have 12v across them. The socketed LEDs have integralbresistor so needn't worry about that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 pm 

Brett928S2 wrote:

Thanks Bret

Steve[/quote]

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Hi Steve :)

I would definitely buy one and I am sure many others would, particularly if you could design it so that connecting was done to anywhere other than behind the dash (dash removal :( ).. Ecus maybe...

All the best Brett :)[/quote]

OK Bret I will do some research and get something made up then lets see how it looks & I know where I can get the power from without the dash coming out so that an easy one to sort out.

Got me thinking now.....

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:08 pm 

Put me down as your first definite order if you do design one....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:23 pm 

Will do.
Thanks Bret

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am 

Hi Brett

Here is our Gear Selector illumination upgrade. Simple LED panel fits exactly where the original was fitted. Check this out...

https://woodypeck.com/product/928-auto-shifter-plate-illumination-led-bulb-kit/

928 Auto Shifter Plate Back Lit LED kit
This kit comes with an LED panel, wiring and power connector

Just like the original MY78 - MY81 cars which had a Back Lit Auto Shift Plate

All the Letters are lit up on the Shift Plate

P R N D 3 2

This LED kit is an easy fit to any 928 and provides a white glow of light from your shift plate assembly illuminating all the drive letters.

This is not an LED pointer shift indicator light, all the letters are lit at the same time.

Attachments:
File comment: Auto Gear Shifter illumination
Auto Gear Shift Illumination 4.jpg
Auto Gear Shift Illumination 4.jpg [ 31.28 KiB | Viewed 6806 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:39 am 

TIPEC membership: 9170
This is brill! Is it easy to fit?

2018 (67) BMW X5 30d (daily driver)

Follow my bits of restoration on the 928 on Twitter at @928_UK