Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:28 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: High Beam Adjuster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6337
Hi

Does anyone use the High Beam Adjuster? Is it worth getting fixed?
Regards
Steve

Post subject: Re: High Beam Adjuster
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:38 pm 

Hi :)

Never worked on mine and from everything I have read its an absolute pig to fix so never bothered...as the high beam position is checked on the MOT, you normally will know if its out and unless you regularly carry heavy weights in the back you will never need it....(thats what its for by the way)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
I am anal about fixing things on my 928. My last S4 was the analogue dash model with the hydraulic adjusters - may give you some idea of importance/fixability that I didn't bother! Apparently if you ever get the hydraulic fluid in it will disappear within a couple of weeks.

There is a write-up on 928.org.uk on fixing system, involving trip to radio control model shop for correct oil.

My current S4 hs the much more reliable electric adjsuters. Even though I never carry enough luggage to need to adjust (well maybe once on le Mans trip last year) I replaced a hunting motor on one of the lights!

For MOT if aim is ok on default position (0) then it matters not that system doesn't operate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4917
My adjusters did work on MY89 silver S4 but they don't on my new Black MY88 S4. The tubes have been replaced and looks like they could have worked from Previous Owner, but checked my level today @ Local MOT station and my lights are low as suspected. So I need to either adjust them up or find a way of getting th eadjuster to work momentarily to adjust the lights back up to standard.

Steve

MY88 928 S4 Auto - Black, RMB, LED Front lights Upgrade & Interior LED bulbs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6915
There were several problems with the hydraulic headlight adjuster system.

1. The hydraulic fluid used [silicon oil] degraded over time and lost its viscosity and became more and more like water. This increased the likelihood of a leak.

2. At position 0 [Normal] the system was at its maximum pressure.

3. In the event of a leak the system failed to position 3 i.e. headlights pointing to the ground - MOT failure due to incorrectly aligned headlights.

4. It was technically illegal in some countries.

5. It was only ever available to buy as a complete system from Porsche and even then it was extremely difficult to fit as you would probably have to partially dissemble it [brake it] in order to run the hydraulic lines through the body work.

I am like 'stratfordshark' when it comes to my 928 so I decided to fix mine. Here are some pics. >

[Sorry for big pics - but I don't know how to do thumbs on this system.]

More than 3 years later and the system is still pressurised and the headlights point in the right direction. But to tell the truth - I've never risk using the headlight adjuster or needed to - although I see no reason why it wouldn't work. :roll:

I do not recommend repairing this system. [unless you are very fastidious or mad] - It was a very tricky fix and to much to explain here - just do what everyone else does and disconnect the adjusters and whack some self-tappers into the headlight frame to hold it at the correct angle. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm 

HI Ben
I know what you mean about getting everything working on the 928. This may be one that I leave unfixed. I will probably replace the springs if possible so the lights stay at the right angle.

I am about to fit some new HID lights after spending the last 4 years sourcing many replacement bulbs to give the right colour look for the lights as well as the strength of beam. I know you have used the Phillips bulbs but I wasn't happy with them and sourced a wide variety on Ebay and others and found what I was happy with. But that was on my Silver one.

So I have the HID conversion to fit and should have great lights at a good colour temp fairly soon.

Cheers
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:14 am 

Hi Steve

I considered HID lighting very early on with my 928 but after a lot of research concluded that it was going to be technically impossible to achieve a satisfactory and legal result as the 928 headlights were never designed to project a light of that type or intensity. [ have you been following the recent discussion on the 'list']?

The ironic thing is tho - that once my head lights were adjusted to the correct angle the actual headlight performance [with the new Philips bulbs] was the best I'd ever seen on any car I'd ever driven and it would be hard to see haw HID could improve on it! :shock:

Like you though - I'm struggling with the overall colour balance between the headlights and the other lights. Will do some more experimenting this year.

Good luck with your HID's anyway - still love your daylight running light mod. :bounce:

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:10 pm 

Brilliant photos Porker928 betst I've ever seen of the hydraulic headlight system. Looks a very intricate operation - won't ask why you had such big syringes handy!

It's academic niw, but I am curious how you disassembled the control from the carpeted sill. I was always wary of just pulling on control knob. Was that section of carpet cover just held down by self tappers like the section covering handbrake cable adjust? How does it clear the beam control knob when it is free to lift out?

Good point on a failed system pointing too low. My beams were only legal when the adjuster screws were at such extreme position that the headlights were pulled right back into the "pods" which always annoyed me at night as they slightly "tented" shape of pod because of the tell-tail light at top of headlight unit.

Congrats on 3 years operation which must be 928 record for that system. 3 weeks seems to be the norm!

For anyone reading this who is put off 928s, let me reiterate that the 89 on cars have electric motor adjusters which work very reliably and well, and are easy to fix in case of any problem. I bought new one to get my system perfect but I could have just repaired the old motor. 928s are like that with a lot of parts which can be refurbed to good as new.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 am 

Hi Adrian

The section of plastic interior trim that goes around the handbrake its self is indeed held in place by a few black self tappers. Find and undo these then just lift it over the handbrake and turn it over to get access to the two nuts that hold the headlight adjuster to the plastic. [5th photo] Unfortunately I can't quite remember how you separate the control knob from the controller - but I do remember a long fine threaded screw goes down the center of the device.

If your system is not damaged in any way then there is always the possibility it can be made to work again providing you have lots of time and patience and oil and big syringes. :shock:

Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am 

TIPEC membership: 6337
Thanks for help with this - seeing what is involved I am going to leave well alone!
steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:33 pm 

Hi Ben, Adrian

I have just spent a few days fiddling with my adjusters as my headlights seem to always point to the ground. So in anticipation of installing my HID bulbs I need to get my headlights pointed correctly before I start. Rmoved the cowls yesterday and got them correctly adjusted again and as expected the adjusters are fully down at the bottom of the thread to bring the lights adjusted correctly. So, without cowls on, I am going to have to disconnect the adjuster plungers and find a way to "FIX" my headlights with the correct tilt angle so I can return the screw adjusters to a more mornal position for the correct headlights angle and afford the refit of my cowls without infringing the visable "nipple" at the top of the lights.

If you know of a write up on how to "FIX" the headlight permanantly in position with the screws as you mentioned that would help as this is my project for tomorrow.

Happy 928ing.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:35 pm 

Hi Steve,

Have possible solution for you.

In the US, Federal regulations prohibited beam adjusters. So 928s imported into US had the system replaced by solid plastic supports instead of a piston arrangement at base of headlights.

The plastic rods are available for a few quid each, part 928.631.201.02

Don't know if available here or only from usual suppliers in US (of course Roger will get them to you in a jiffy!). I remember trying to order some years ago from 928 International when my hydraulic system was knackered. Can't remember why I didn't get them in the end - they may have been out of stock.

Anyway they hold the headlights in fixed position, such that you shouldn't need to fine adjust beam by going to extreme position of adjuster screws.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 pm 

HI Adrian

Thanks for that info. Tried to find some photo's online but could only find a few loose references in the USA. So, will take the idea and see if I can fabricate a "replacement - rod" for my headlights once I have noted the position of the image on a suitable flat wall, so then I can adjust my lights after the rod modification and still be able to see the road.

Many Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:51 pm 

Juts ordered my Longer "Rods" from Roger Taylor $6.85 USD each.

Ben, how easy are these rods to change and whats the best way to change them? Is it easier to undo the 2 nuts which hold the headlight and remove that way? Which way did you do it?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 pm 

I'm presuming the 'Rods' are a replacement for the actuators?

I just removed the front wheels and the front wheel arch covers (S2 had two separate covers - other models may differ). This will give you access to the under-side of the headlights. Then raise the headlights and un-do the small spring that holds black lifter mechanism to the headlight base. Wedge the headlights in the upright position then manually wind them to the lowered position - the headlights will stay where they are but the lifter will lower out of the way giving you free access to the actuator. You will also need to remove the headlight covers for access from the top.
The actuators twist and pull. If they are undamaged they will be worth something to somebody - so don't chuck them!

Ben