Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:53 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Broken down in France help!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. Well, the 928 is now sitting happily amongst 200,000 euro GT2 RS's and other slightly newer porsches at the porsche garage..... and indeed the problem seems to be either the coil-distributor leads or the ignition amps. thanks god its not worse or ill be leaving the car here to rot as an insurance write off with the prices they charge for parts and labour here. Should be back on the road this evening or tomorrow with any luck. thanks for all your help above. :blackeye:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm 

Hi :)

If it is the amps ...I just changed mine after getting them wet, cleaning the engine with high power spray :(

The symptoms were.... started JUST and ran like a pig sometimes on 3.or 4or 5 or 6 cylinders...

Changed the amps (had a spare set on the plate) ...only 2 x 10 ml bolts....took all of 5 minutes, turned key and it ran perfectly on all 8 instantly...

I got mine from Ebay second hand on the plate ...but they are s standard Bosch part for a lot of cars...around £30 to £40 each (you have 2)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4635
Hi Brett

Great that you fixed it easily and had the spares (I only keep single one as spare!).

Did you use thermal paste before you bolted them down? The spares should come with a little tube of paste. Very important as otherwise the heat will kill them.

Cheers

Adrian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:57 pm 

stratfordshark wrote:
Hi Brett

Great that you fixed it easily and had the spares (I only keep single one as spare!).

Did you use thermal paste before you bolted them down? The spares should come with a little tube of paste. Very important as otherwise the heat will kill them.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian :)

Mine were second hand and already on the plate , so just used them as was.... I bought them for £2.72 from Ebay lol.... worked fine though :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:40 am 

That explains it Brett - was scratching my head trying to work out what you meant by "spares on plate" but understand now!

What a good source for spares. Fraction of new price (paid about £30 for mine) and unlike most used parts almost certain to be perfect, and they of course would have thermal paste undusturbed. Well done!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:45 pm 

Hi all,

Good news! - The Porsche just needed a small Bosch part, the small connecting ignition bit... sorry, im not good with teh technical jargen.....
then
Bad News - The drive shaft broke. now that was a surprise.
We made it 10 minutes from our apartment when overtaking a tractor the auto box went from first into second then BANG clangalangalg pull over stop.

On inspecting through the hole under the car to see the (what i think is called) the drive shaft... it had twisted and sheered of completely.....
Ah well..
no idea what to do now.... as we are abroad and porsche will want thousands to fix it, it looks like it will be an uneconomical repair write off.

off to get drunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:08 pm 

Hi :)

Damn, you have bad luck :(

The small part was an ignition amp...

But you have bigger problems now...if the Torque Tube has broken then it usually takes out the crankshaft/engine as well, although you MAY be lucky....

That torque tube basically connects the engine at the front to the transmission at the back.....

Can you get it recovered back to the UK ?

It really needs to go to someone like Paul Anderson in Stroud to see how much damage it did etc....

Hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:34 am 

Really sorry to hear this.

Running in 4 cylinder mode puts extreme stress on drive shat inside torque tube, so this is not coincidence.

Hope you can resolve at least expense

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 am 

Hi again,

Quick update - the weekend over and some good news, the gearbox is fine and so is the engine so it was 'just' a broken drive shaft. Now, firstly - how the hell did it brake all by itself?

Strange.... also, how much is one of these, what additional parts need to be considered when fitting and how easy/much is it to fit? these are the questions. i saw a great video on youtube on how to remove the driveshaft but the bloke dropped the whole rear end form the car! hope thats not the case.
Also, where can i get one from cheaper than Porsche Annecy is going to charge me?

I get the quote later so that should be fun :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57 pm 

Well, the wonderful people here at the garage have assumed that i have 4,200Euros to fix the car, which i dont :cry: . So, does anyone know where i can get a drive shaft for a 91' automatic S4 from? Any company in the UK that would post or enthusiast with spares? Please let me know, - also, what would be the part number for that, i cant seem to find anything online?

thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:47 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
doynk2 wrote:
Well, the wonderful people here at the garage have assumed that i have 4,200Euros to fix the car, which i dont :cry: . So, does anyone know where i can get a drive shaft for a 91' automatic S4 from? Any company in the UK that would post or enthusiast with spares? Please let me know, - also, what would be the part number for that, i cant seem to find anything online?

thanks guys.

There are a few 928 S4s being broken on E Bay. This guy seems to have a few:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-928-S ... 996wt_1255

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:28 pm 

Cheers Jim,

The car is now sitting in the garage carpark with all the heat shield bits and exhaust in the car :( i have emailed a few companies and fabricators to source a decent 'cheap' part and have emailed some guys breaking them on ebay. I am now on the hunt for an ebay bargain. Thanks all for the tips.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 pm 

I will send you private message with possible sources for torque tube.

Part number 928.421.012.26

The shaft is prone to fail after engine has run in 4 cylinder mode - puts extreme stresses on tube!

Hope you sort car before holiday's over! Your partner must be very tolerant...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am 

What's the latest? Is Paul A shipping out a torque tube?

S4 torque tube just popped up on eBay, £150

Item 290930330964

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm 

Hi All,

Paul went quiet after we agreed an S2 tube would be stronger... he just went off the radar and wont answer his phone. So, i am in touch with 'Steve' about a donor one for around £150.

My next straight forward question is, to remove and replace the TT, do i have to drop the whole rear end off or just make some room to remove it (basically, a little job or big job)

Thanks.

Saw the car today.... photo below from previously.....
looks sad with no exhaust...