Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:02 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GTS rear bumper on an S4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
Without my consent the garage who are repairing my car have replaced my S4 bumper with a GTS bumper because the S4 bumper is no longer available. I'm really not happy about it however the insurance company are telling me I have little option and have offered me £500 compensation. I would prefer that they wrote the car off as I don't want a non standard car as I think it will devalue it and make it harder to sell in the future. Do I have any option but to accept?

Also does anyone know if the GTS bumper has the exact same dimensions? When the garage attempted to return it to me the bumper was not fitted well at all. The seal between the bumper and the body should be tight, however there were gaps that you could have put a £1 coin through. Also it looked slightly more flared at the bottom sides, so the curve didn't line up correctly. I believe that the GTS has wider flared rear wheel arches which makes me think that the bumper may have slightly different dimensions. Either that or it is just badly fitted, which could be the case because the standard of work from the garage is poor. (I'll be naming and shaming this Porsche approved garage in the grumble section once I have the full story)

One final question does anyone know of a supplier of a new S4 bumper? It has to be new. I know Porsche don’t make it but might someone have an old one in stock.

Post subject: Re: GTS rear bumper on an S4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6030
I had one on my S4 and it was factory fitted. They run out before the end if production, so it is possible to have the GTS bumper as standard on an S4. I suppose it falls into the '86 and a half year of the S2, where they had some S4 parts used. There are more than you think with it. The dimension are identical, the GTS had flared rear arches, but the rear was the same as the S4.

JOIN THE CLUB, CLICK HERE

2003 996TT

Due to the current economic climate, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off!

Post subject: Re: GTS rear bumper on an S4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 5535
Got a phone call from the insurer on Friday. They have decided to make a full payout and a cheque is on the way. This is the best result considering I am unhappy with the work done by the garage. I asked about buying back the car but they want too much money so I'll be leaving it. Might make a play for the 928 GT on eBay.

Mike