Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AC Recirc/Defrost Button
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Afternoon all

My aforementioned button, the defrost (lower) part of the 2 switch unit, is no longer is attached to the rest of the switch. It engages ok and seems locked in when defrost it on, but when you disengage it, the button pops about 5 mm further out that it should, and comes out completely if you pull it. It looks like it has 2 little catches that go onto plastic cylinders, the catches look broken or disintegrated.

The full 2 button switch is 944 635 921 00. £175 second hand best I've found so far. Don't suppose anybody has one lying about or a broken climate control unit it could be removed from?

It still works, thinking possibly some subtle use of blue tack might do the job? Lol, very professional, but it looks like a pain to replace the whole switch which has 10 prongs needing unsoldered then re-soldered, with the AC unit apart obviously.

Also posted on PCGB.

Edit to add: No chance of any blue tack fix, it seems like little lock tabs on the button are broken that reach into the button casing and keep it in. Blue tack would stop the button falling completely out but not stop it sitting proud.

Much better news is that I discovered that on the later models like mine, the switch is push fit and not soldered in. So a replacement switch should do the job quite easily. Of course if I could get just the actual button with the defrost sign on it, it would just press in I think. More chance of a rocking horse winning the grand national though. So a switch it is, or even a broken switch with the bit I need intact. Don't fancy paying OPC £250 and as it still works and is only mildly annoying, I'll bide my time and see if anything or any of you guys comes across something. £145 cheapest now, 2nd hand from the states.............file that under "non-starter" :roll:

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.