Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Boot lock help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8863
Hi all, I'm trying to fix the boot lock on my 87 944 Turbo, which has been left in a bit of mess by the previous owner, key doesn't work, and electronic release doesn't work either. Not only that, but some areas weren't connected, so I have absolutely no idea on how it all goes together and whether I have the right bits. The boot lock as mentioned doesn't work with the key, so it looks like it'll need rebuilding which is fine as I've found instructions on how to do that. The lock itself wasn't connected with the rest of the boot mechanism, so I'm not even sure if they're compatible. Being an 87 944, I'm assuming that it isn't the micro switch system, but mechanical, but I can't find a diagram that shows how they link together. If anyone has a diagram that makes it clear, I would really appreciate it
The lock, which I've now removed, looks the same as the picture I've found in the link below halfway down, with an extra part bolted on the back that I guess in some way, when the key is turned, unlocks the boot??
http://forums.tipec.net/viewtopic.php?f ... 24#p151824
So, first I need to know what system I have, i.e. micro switch or not and secondly, I need to understand how the lock attaches to the boot release mechanism so I can get it all back together once the locks been rebuilt
Any help or diagrams anyone can share would be very much appreciated, I've had a good look online and in here and I can't find anything that shows it
Cheers, Phil

Post subject: Re: Boot lock help
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Your best bet would be the parts diagrams which you can download from Porsche

Also the workshop manuals may help, you can find those here

www.pdlibrary.co.uk

Also if you don’t have a release button in the footwell it might well be mechanical lock

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:02 pm 

Yes it does have the boot button in the footwell on the drivers side, so I guess that means it should have the micro switch, which it doesn't. There's nothing that connects the lock to the latch mechanism.
So the lock picture I put the link to in my first post, is that compatible with a micro switch setup then, does the micro switch just connect to the latch motor in the boot??

By the way, great taste in bikes, I have a 1984 GPZ750A, loved the old Honda VF's of the period

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the parts list link, checking the required parts, the micro switch appears to be only for 88 model year onwards, i.e. chassis number 95JN ... My car is 87 model year according to the chassis number, 95HN... so now I'm really confused, why would I have the boot release button and no microswitch???