Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cam Buckets - 8v turbo
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Guys

In the final throws of my engine build and thinking about renewing the lifters as I recall I had a slightly noisy one (bit ticky once heated up). Question is are the 8v and 16v ones the same as Martin has sourced Audi ones at a good price that fit the 16v. Would probably get 8 of these if suitable?

Edit to add: https://www.amazon.co.uk/INA-420-0022-1 ... B0068N0I82

£6.81 each!

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

Post subject: Re: Cam Buckets - 8v turbo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:47 am 

Hi, I assume the 8V Turbo head is pretty much the same size as the standard NA head, so the turbo cam followers will be dimensionally similar to the NA followers. However, the 16V head does use a different size altogether, and cannot be used in the 8V NA head, so I assume not in the turbo either.

I dont know of a cheaper 8V alternative. The 16V alternatives where used in several other 80's 16V engines from VW and Audi, etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

Black 1987 944S - Gone but not forgotten
Metallic Black 1980 924 - Those were the days....
Red 1979 924
Minerva blue 1979 924

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:47 am 

Hi Stuart , you can split them and get them cleaned or get a engineer to do it for you . If still a problem I have some here on the shelf your welcome to them .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 am 

Rhett wrote:
Hi, I assume the 8V Turbo head is pretty much the same size as the standard NA head, so the turbo cam followers will be dimensionally similar to the NA followers. However, the 16V head does use a different size altogether, and cannot be used in the 8V NA head, so I assume not in the turbo either.

I dont know of a cheaper 8V alternative. The 16V alternatives where used in several other 80's 16V engines from VW and Audi, etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Rhett, you I thought as much. There is no cheaper version of the 8V ones, they are eye wateringly expensive compared to £6 for a 16V compatible one!

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:10 am 

sgl1966 wrote:
Hi Stuart , you can split them and get them cleaned or get a engineer to do it for you . If still a problem I have some here on the shelf your welcome to them .

Hi Simon

It's more of a slight annoyance than a problem! At the last engine rebuild we swapped out 2 lifters but clearly it was one of the other 6 that caused the issue as it remained! (and I don't know which 2 were swapped as it was 10 years ago!)

It's a bit of an odd one, all is quiet when cold. It's only when the engine gets up to temperature that the noise starts. Very hard to explain but it kind of sounds like a faint version of the noise a train passing by makes, to-to-to-toot, slight pause, to-to-to-toot, slight pause. I fully expect this attempt at an explanation to be met with howls of laughter!! :lol:

I don't think it can be anything other than a tappit but I'm no expert. If you have 8 known decent lifters lying about, I'd be happy to exchange them for beer tokens and give them a try. Or could it not be the lifters?

Just thinking it would be nice to cure this issue after all the effort that's gone into the build so far!

Thanks in advance

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:45 pm 

The INA Part number for the Turbo is INA 420 0009 10

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:18 pm 

Waylander wrote:
The INA Part number for the Turbo is INA 420 0009 10

Thanks Martin. £58 each and not much availability. :(

Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:45 pm 

Hi Stuart , I have a couple of sets here I don’t need as all 16v . Not sure if they are good as never run them but can pick out the 8 cleanest ones if you want them . You can have them free as beer tokens are wasted on a non drinker .

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:49 am 

sgl1966 wrote:
Hi Stuart , I have a couple of sets here I don’t need as all 16v . Not sure if they are good as never run them but can pick out the 8 cleanest ones if you want them . You can have them free as beer tokens are wasted on a non drinker .

PM sent Simon. Many thanks yet again!!

Cheers

Stuart