Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading front discs and pads on 944S
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:02 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I am happy with the brakes on my 944S for road use but on track they lack a little bit of bite up front? I have rebuilt them with new seals and the discs and pads are reasonably new, the fluid gets changed regularly and I have braided hose flexes. size wise they are 282mm diameter, disc thickness 20.5 and total height 74.3mm

I only track it a couple of times a year, the issue I get is when diving down the inside of someone, ie late on the brakes and changing down a gear for the corner the rear tries to rotate and has spun me on a couple of occasions. The car brakes well in to a corner but the extra drag of dropping a gear is like pulling the handbrake on. What I am looking for is something a little better up front to balance this issue out when really on the brakes.

As I only track it a couple of times a year I'm not looking to pay a lot out for them and I don't want to change the calipers but possibly upgrade the pads and get something drilled or grooved up front. I have done a bit of searching but there isn't anything that jumps out at me other than paying quite a bit for an upgrade, has anyone used anything that works well? The drilled brakes of my 996 work miles better when I have cleaned the drilled vent holes of rust and brake dust so a drilled pair for the 944 would suit me I think?

Post subject: Re: Upgrading front discs and pads on 944S
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:53 pm 

An update on this, I had searched a little more for discs but in the end I found somewhere in Dartford that could machine standard discs with 8 slots on each face so for 60 quid I got this done on a brand new pair of Pagid discs. It took them a month to get around to doing the work but I got them back last week and fitted them yesterday, I also have a set of EBC yellows to go with them.

They have done a great job on them and as I'll be swapping back to standard discs and pads when not on a track they should last me for a good few years. The car is going for it's first track day in two years on the 4th of march so I'll see how this set up performs. I also have a set of Pirelli P7 Corsa tyres to go on so I fully expect this to corner even more like it's on rails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 pm 

You will find that the more power you put in the front the more the rear will step out,

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Drilled discs crack so can be a pain. My 2.5 had S2 corners on and with standard discs and EBC Green pads coped with some spirited driving & never left me wanting more.
I'd add that overtaking in corners is frowned upon at a lot of track days & you could get black flagged if either someone complains or the marshals see you.
If you hit someone doing that there will be words from the other party. Also braking should be done before turn in, not after. Have you ever had some driver instruction?

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:17 pm 

Hi Waylander, I understand what you are saying, currently the brakes feel nicely balanced but when you add the dropping of a gear it almost locks the rear so I'm trying to do a bit more braking before I need to and some extra up from should have slowed me down sufficiently before I've out braked myself.

tr7v8, I have been doing track days for quite a few years in various cars (and bikes) and had a little tuition a while ago. I'm not braking in the corner as you say but braking just before and changing down for the drive out of the corner, the car I have overtaken is already behind. The issue occurs when I have passed someone on a straight and am a little hot into the corner when I arrive, I'm usually one of the lowest powered on track so I have to make the most of what I have. It has also happened when I have been under pressure from faster cars coming into a corner and trying not to hold them up too much, you may look in the rear view mirror more and miss the braking point.

I just feel a little extra up front will help, but I won't find that out until I've done the next track day, plus it's reversible mod