Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear seat back latches
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:29 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Can anyone advise please. I have an 1984 944 2.5 and a previous owner at some point has fitted a new rear seat. The seat back won’t latch onto the existing peg/pin protruding from the bodywork.

Unfortunately I don’t know how to post pictures, but I’ll do my best to describe.
The bodywork has a static peg/pin held in by 3 screws. The seat back has a static arm protruding from the side of the seat , which has a bend and faces forwards - this is set higher than the bodywork peg.
The rear seat has no button on the top, which I’ve noticed some seats have. So presumably the arm from the seat latches or hooks onto something??

This has not been a problem to me as the rear seats are always folded down and not used, only the mot inspector this year took great exception to my cable ties holding the seat in the upright position , (tying both pegs together), and I got a dangerous fail and a note stating the car should not be driven away from the garage in this condition.. A bit harsh me thinks , but rules are rules.

Anyway, it’s time to sort out the problem.
Any advice please - I’m thinking along the lines that I should get the correct rear seat for the my existing bodywork type/age but what type of seat fixing would that be ?

Thanks, Kev

Post subject: Re: Rear seat back latches
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:45 pm 

I would download the pdf files of the PET catalogue

This will show you the body, the STZ catalogue will show the seats

You should be able to get some sense out of them
Trawl pictures on the interweb of early interiors

But I’m pretty sure the 944 latch was on the seat, and pin on the body

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:06 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I looked at the PET cat and the STZ cat, the PET is for 82 - 85 models and I found the diagrams a bit confusing. The only SPZ cat I could find was for post 88 cars, so not really relevant.

I trawled through pics of 944 cars for sale and as many interior pics as I could find and I noticed that some cars have a button on the rear seat that's flush with the seat, some cars have a button which is raised and I remember on my 924 I had a lever pulled by a strap to fold the rear seats down - but the PET cat only showed the flush type button release.

The seat I have in the car presently, has no buttons to release the seat back and as I said before has been held with cable ties since I got the car 7 years ago. I should have looked at it before now, but never use the seats, who does ?

Kev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:34 pm 

The seat cat is STZ

I will have a look in pet2

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:14 pm 

There are 2 types of rear seat fasteners common to the 924 and I assume 944 , the later type with push button latch on top has a peg on the bodywork held with 3 screws. The early type has a latch operated with a strap attached to the latch which is enables the seat to be released from the front of the seat back, this has a shaped catch plate on the bodywork held by 2 screws. Your seat back appears to be the early pattern, not sure when the change occurred but must have been 81/2? So not sure whether the early pattern ever made it to the 944.

These fittings are usually available from Woolies and I think body fixings are interchangeable.

1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 N/A Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 924 N/A Le Mans#2 - sold
1977 924 N/A Martini - sold

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:00 pm 

Thanks for your advice, that’s great. I’ll give Woolies a buzz and see what they can sort out for me.
I can’t think why someone went to the trouble of putting in the wrong seat for the car’s existing seat locking peg.

Out of interest, do you know if the 84 model will have pre drilled holes for 3 point static belts in the rear. I might fit them if it’s no hassle, I’ve never had anyone sit in the back before, but it might give the rear seats more credibility.

Cheers,
Kev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:51 pm 

There will almost certainly be holes tapped for bolts for lap belts, either side of the central hump in the seat base and on each wheel arch, almost impossible to find from above, diligent searching from below should reveal them and a long thin sharp object should be able to be pushed up through the trim with minimal damage. If you have a large painted phililps type black screwhead with large washer on the rear quarter panel above the rear seat back, this may be a 3rd mounting point, not sure as I have never investigated it for that purpose.

1984 924 N/A Black - sold
1980 924 N/A Le Mans#1 - sold
1980 924 N/A Le Mans#2 - sold
1977 924 N/A Martini - sold