Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early Vs Late Offsets And Suspension Compatibility.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello all,

I am after a little bit of information regards suspension and it will become quickly apparent I have very little knowledge on the subject. My questions are regards to fitting of coilovers to a 944, early & late offsets and ultimately if any parts are not interchangeable, why?

I want to fit a set of coilovers to my 1989 car which has ali arms. Being a little bit of a tight wad I thought I would explore the used part market in an attempt to save a few quid over new. Upon my searching I have found that some parts are not interchangeable. Can someone please highlight these differences in the most simple terms possible please?

Having looked on The Gaz site at buying new I have found the following.

Quote:
Please note. The 944 models built up to mid 1985 use steel suspension arms front and rear with a 20mm shock gap spacing at the front. Later cars from mid 1985 used alloy arms front and rear with a 18mm shock gap spacing on the front. We have seen later cars with earlier parts fitted (probably due to wear or damage or availability of parts) so make sure you identify steel or alloy arms and the front shock gap to ensure you receive the correct kit for your car.

Having not compared my early car to my late one, I am not overly sure what this 18mm/20mm spacing refers to, is that the pitch of the bolts in the front fixing? Seems unlikely given the required bolt size, so I can only imagine that this spacing is to fit around a part, possibly the section the lower front damper mounts fit around part of the hub or wish bone? If that is the case surely early dampers (20mm) could be fitted to a late car (18mm) with the aid of a spacer?

In respect to the rears do they all remain the same?

I have done a bit of reading on Rennlist which has done nothing more than confuse me. If anyone could give me any sort of guidance into if any of this actually matters, if it is easily overcome or if I am totally off the mark I would be very thankful.