Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help assessing condition of my cv joints you tube vid
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:33 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hello experts,
I need help assessing the condition of my 1986 944 CV joints please. Do I replace them and if so which need replacing?
Your views on the info in this you tube video would certainly help me and maybe others.

https://youtu.be/jKlKYWQjdiw

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Help assessing condition of my cv joints you tube vid
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4190
Just watched the vid.
They play on the splines is OK & nothing to worry about.
What I would do is strip each CV joint down & was it out in petrol/paraffin or brake cleaner & inspect it carefully. You can dismantle the CV joint, down to it's basic components. There is a circlip that holds it on the shaft. Inspect the tracks in the outer CV shell for wear & spalling. Do not mix up bits from multiple CV joints.
Get a shiny new pot of Moly or CV grease, reassemble if OK & repack. Getting a CV joint together is a bit of a puzzle but they do go!
On mine I had a weird clop noise but only when very hot. It was the NS inner which sits above the exhaust box. The grease was more like sawdust & surprise the outer joint was badly worn. Several of the CV gaiters were tearing as well. New joint & all was 100%. I did both sides, 4 joints which is around 500ml of grease!
We did a mates & his weren't too bad but one the grease was definitely dying so worth doing.
Use new bolts & Loctite as they are known to come undone if you don't. My mate broke a bolt on his as well which meant stripping it to extract it.

http://tipec.net/region_southeastlondon.php

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2005 Porsche Cayenne S Now sold!
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Now sold!
2010 Mazda MX5 Mk3.5 2.0 Sport Tech
2000 Porsche Boxster S SOLD!
1987 Porsche 944 2.5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:23 pm 

Thank you for that. I was really concerned about the movement on the splines. I think the both inside CV joints near the gearbox need replacing tho I have no experience on which to draw to actually make that decision with certainty. Research on the web tends to indicate that a clicking noise is the main indicator but I do not have that, just a bit of a vibration.
I’ve ordered 2 turbo/S2/968 CV joint kits, that includes bolts and gaiters from FrazerPart which are Lobro. (So GKN I think) for £132 pair. Great service.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:30 am 

Well we assembled the CV joints incorrectly. We followed the arrangement that was already on the CV axel we removed, unfortunately that appeared to be incorrect. 2 things which we did not know until I watched the following 2 YouTube videos by Italjohn, which if you are doing your CV joints are in my opinion an absolute must.

https://youtu.be/EOGMB5IqqcU
And
https://youtu.be/MCGnOMJkioU

Basically the joints are designed with a chamfer on one of the parts and this has to go towards the axel shaft and the joints at each end have to be in the correct orientation to each other.
We in our ignorance never considered either of these bits of information and will now have to remove the axel that we have already put on and at least make sure we get it correct on the other axel We’re about to put new CV joints on.
Brett and Sam.