Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 944 Rear Arm Inner Bush & Strut Bushings
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:22 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Folks - has anyone replaced the rear arm inner bushes and strut bushings?

Porsche doesn't list a part number for the inner bushing on the later cars but they do have a part number for the earlier cars, anyone know if the early bushing fits into the later arms? they look very similar.

Early 944 (pre 86) Inner Bushing (was 477501541) PCG501541

1st diagram is pre-86 and 2nd diagram is 86-

Image Image

Other than Porsche I see there are a couple of aftermarket options for the inner arm bushes from either Design911 or partworks.de for around £150, would rather go with street rubber bushings and not poly as I've heard they squeak and also don't last as long as the rubber bushings.

Also some options on the strut bushings including a pair of complete struts from partworks.de with new bushings and bolts.

I've read a couple of guides on replacing them and also the rear wheel bearings and wondering if it might be easier for me to just take the arms off and get a garage / workshop to refit the new bushes and bearings for me and then I can just reattach them afterwards?

Post subject: Re: 944 Rear Arm Inner Bush & Strut Bushings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:30 pm 

Early trailing arms were steel, later were alloy, I would doubt the bushes would fit alloy arms

Just go with Powerflex, or Flowflex as they will be a job to change anyway, you might as well do them all while your there

Richard does a good replacement spring plate arm and ready moulded on bush highlighted in the bottom picture, and I see you have also highlighted the beam end plate bushes, they are very hard to fit, a friend snapped one of his in half trying to do the job

In reality if you going to attempt all those mounts and bushings, you would be better off removing the rear beam complete

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:22 pm 

Waylander wrote:
Early trailing arms were steel, later were alloy, I would doubt the bushes would fit alloy arms

Just go with Powerflex, or Flowflex as they will be a job to change anyway, you might as well do them all while your there

Richard does a good replacement spring plate arm and ready moulded on bush highlighted in the bottom picture, and I see you have also highlighted the beam end plate bushes, they are very hard to fit, a friend snapped one of his in half trying to do the job

In reality if you going to attempt all those mounts and bushings, you would be better off removing the rear beam complete

Hey Waylander - yes the plan is to completely remove everything and completely dismantle all of it and replace everything that can be.

Might be better just to completely replace the spring plate arms then - who is Richard? I know partworks.de do the replacement spring arms.

Didn't want to use Powerflex as I've heard they can be noisy (squeaky) and don't last as long as the original rubber bushings.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:37 pm 

Oh sorry, Richard owns partwerks, we got very chatty when he first started up as WPO_shop

I guess as for how long things last, will you still own the car or even be able to drive it on British roads in 30 years time

It’s starting to look very doubtful

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Have a look at the Elephant Racing site:- https://www.elephantracing.com/
Chuck does just about everything for 944s and 911s. Not cheap but excellent quality and service, he supplies the tools as well.
All my bushes are from ER for the 944 and 993. Hartech do or did some parts including an exchange uprated front wishbone. Arbs are from Lindsey racing and front shock mounts from Paragon (Racers Edge) I had Koni sport shocks on, now Gaz Gold, the Konis are great vfm but rear shocks are a fiddle to adjust. Gaz may not work well with std ride height as they are shorter than std.

Attachments:
Clay Hill.jpg
Clay Hill.jpg [ 108.68 KiB | Viewed 2403 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:26 pm 

Endoman wrote:
Have a look at the Elephant Racing site:- https://www.elephantracing.com/
Chuck does just about everything for 944s and 911s. Not cheap but excellent quality and service, he supplies the tools as well.
All my bushes are from ER for the 944 and 993. Hartech do or did some parts including an exchange uprated front wishbone. Arbs are from Lindsey racing and front shock mounts from Paragon (Racers Edge) I had Koni sport shocks on, now Gaz Gold, the Konis are great vfm but rear shocks are a fiddle to adjust. Gaz may not work well with std ride height as they are shorter than std.

Thanks Endoman,

I've new Bilstein rear shocks and the fronts are OE Porsche but only about 30k miles old.

My front wishbones are hartech ones as well :)

I did see the Elephant Racing bits... like you said can work out expensive after import especially if you get stung for 20% tax on top by customs... I think I'm going to get what I can from Porsche and then look at getting the other bits from partworks.de