Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:48 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Accelerator Sticks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:15 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8768
My 944 2.7 accelerator sticks down rather dangerously!! The previous owner just rested the plastic foot pedal on the bar and that works ok but put the bar back into the pedal slot and it sticks.

I understood that the floor panel can get bent our of shape because people worp the floor by putting the car jack in the wrong place. The advice I have read is to bang the floor panel with a hammer and piece of wood in front of the accelerator pedal to put it back in shape. I have done this, but to no avail. The pedal still sticks when I put the bar back in the slot!

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Accelerator Sticks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:20 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
It bends what looks like a jacking point and the floor, I had to do the same to my 968, A 1.5 lb club hammer was required in the end it’s very hard to hit it hard enough

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:18 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8768
Waylander wrote:
It bends what looks like a jacking point and the floor, I had to do the same to my 968, A 1.5 lb club hammer was required in the end it’s very hard to hit it hard enough

Thank you. I'll try hitting the floor pan harder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6602
Happened to me, ended up in a hedge. I fitted a Rennline pedal after pounding the floor back.

Attachments:
Winged.jpg
Winged.jpg [ 82.53 KiB | Viewed 4186 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:42 am 

It's happened to me as well. On the back road past the airport, I nearly overtook a 737 on its take off roll! I killed the ignition and got it stopped. My issue had been the return spring on the throttle body re-installed wrong way, snagging the throttle cable. In terms of the floor being bent, a painter kindly did that for me a later point although I ended up with a stepped accelerator pedal rather than it jamming full down. My mate who is a fairly strong mechanic, bashed it back down with his hand! :shock: Been fine ever since.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:42 pm 

By keeping the existing set up ie accelerator pedal pivoting on a bracket bolted to the floor you are simply perpetuating the problem.
Every time you take the car in for an MOT they lift it up on the ramp by putting a ramp leg on each corner,the corner under the pedal will flex a little, or a lot,depending on the
integrity of the metal,filler,rust etc holding it together.The moment it starts flexing you are back to square one and a possible seize up.
When I bought mine I couldn't understand why the pedal was in the boot with various bits and pieces and my foot was on the end of the rod that normally clips onto the pedal.
A look at the forum soon cleared that up.
What I did was to make a new pedal out of a bit of 4mm aluminium ( looks good actually) and bolt this to the operating rod so it's totally independent of the floor.
Works fine and the floor can flex up and down as needed without the potential of a seize up .