Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 944 89 Engine, gearbox transplant...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I had exactly the same with the fuel pump connector, car would not start one day, traced it to that duff rubber connector
changed it for one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363290645590 ... SwqNBgJJkQ
IP67 waterproof, and not corroded

not sure of the resistance, but I'm not sure that's a deciding factor, open circuit would be far worse.

one of these is an invaluable tool,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1104306455?iid=273904403218

and with 5m of cable it reaches everywhere

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:43 am 

TIPEC membership: 8169
Long time no see folks!

Hope you are all well.

Now where were we.. or should I say, where was I?

Sometime ago, I decided that the old C220 Merc must get finished and sold and other things got in the way so the Porker got pushed back.

So then, back to the 944.

First up, some running problems narrowed down to a vacuum leak that was in-ordinately difficult to find. Turned out to be the Thermo valve. The plastic within the brass was slightly short of the edge and not sealing. Age and heat I guess.
..and then...
Porsche wanted silly money for one. Prices range from £55 all the way up. I wasn't willing to go 2nd hand. However, looking at the part number (058131851), it clicked that this is not a Porsche part number, it must be VAG and so it was. Available from Autodoc for a mere £9. (I seemed to have lost the link to a pdf file which compares part equivalence between Bosch/VAG/Mercedes. Damn useful).

Welder bloke turned up a year ago... a year ago?! FFS. To weld the areas which needed to be done so that I could put the back end back on, leaving the rest so that he could put it on his ramp... That's yet to be done.

However, I got the car running okay but after all that - clutch judder. Clutch is new. I replaced all the needle bearings and everything was done when the engine was out with easy access, use of the alignment tool, new slave cylinder, new thrust bearing etc etc.

Before deciding that I had a high spot on the flywheel and all that entailed, I had a good pry. Gearbox mount - squidgy. I could move the box around by hand.
Porsche wanted something iro £182 plus VAT at the time of asking but... those normally thieving sons of flea bitten motherless goats Design 911 had a sale on.
I found 2. One for an S and one for a standard 944.

Eeek! https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-9 ... h4QAvD_BwE

..and

https://www.design911shop.com/Porsche-9 ... h4QAvD_BwE

But if you look carefully, they both have identical part numbers bar the last digit which I can only presume is rubber hardness!
W@nkers.

I chose the cheaper one plus... wait for it: a 20% discount code that I Googled. The 40 and the 30% code didn't work. I got a pop-up dialogue box telling me that 'this part may not fit your vehicle'.
Happy with the cheeky sale plus discount code order, I waited 2 weeks and decided to contact them to find out what was happening. I was told that at the earliest, they would get it in the beginning of November. November!
I asked for a refund and then I ordered some liquid Poly. Heap big smile. Today will be the big reveal when i take off the gaffer tape - masking tape doesn't cut it (and a bit of a tidy up).
I shall leave this there as I have a looong piece about fixing the electrics on seats if anyone wants to have a go if they haven't done it before.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89
Old gentleman - Merc C220 '95, Elegance, almost mint
Work - Fraud Transit van, skip, bus...
Dream time daily - 3.6 997

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:22 pm 

Seats are normally the switches need cleaning inside, watch out for the low flying ball bearings when taking them to bits

Never buy anything from design911 they are far to expensive

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:36 pm 

I ended up going for a semi solid gearbox mount, which is more solid than semi! At idle there is slight increase in noise through the cabin but it goes away when you move off.

The plus sides of this are the gearbox will move less when driving and there is way less upward compression when using the gearbox to jack up the rear end!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:50 pm 

Waylander wrote:
Seats are normally the switches need cleaning inside, watch out for the low flying ball bearings when taking them to bits

Never buy anything from design911 they are far to expensive

I did get 2 x Dansk silencers for the 911 @ £440 the pair plus vat as opposed to OEM @ £550 each plus vat. It was a no brainer. Plus 10 bhp more.

Motors couldn't move on the electric seats. All seized up.
Don't know if you remember me saying that I needed 2 front seats in Linen but I found a pair. I have been pestering Woolies.
They are off an S2 and probably are fitted on 928's as they have a heater and the space (blanked) for for and aft.

I didn't want the heating nor 2 derelict apertures so I removed all the wiring for them and covered the switch plate in black interior vinyl, with holes for the tilting switches. Looks good. Will post pics.

The heater relays are on Fleabay for silly money and I have 2 ! :D

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:51 pm 

scam75 wrote:
I ended up going for a semi solid gearbox mount, which is more solid than semi! At idle there is slight increase in noise through the cabin but it goes away when you move off.

I had one of them. I couldn't stand the transmission noise transmitted by it.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:47 am 

Ta da!

Switch panel cover.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:15 am 

Crank Case wrote:
scam75 wrote:

I had one of them. I couldn't stand the transmission noise transmitted by it.

I wonder if there are different types. Other than a slight increase in noise at idle, I don't hear any difference. This is the one I have:

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1266 ... 9Products/

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:49 am 

That is identical to the one I had.

Lots and lots and lots has happened since that, like engine mount replacement and new bushes (almost universally), so maybe it would have been okay but the thought of removing and replacing the thing for a 3rd time...
The liquid poly was a shore hardness of 85, so it might be just as noisy :D. I'll let you know.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:39 am 

scam75 wrote:

The plus sides of this are the gearbox will move less when driving and there is way less upward compression when using the gearbox to jack up the rear end!

Stuart

I think it was some very early 944's that had an alloy bracket that bolted onto the rear of the gearbox, and tied it to a chassis rail? I had a picture of the bracket but can't find it now. I thought about looking for one, but there may have been a bit of fabrication needed for the chassis mounting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:58 am 

That jogged my memory Paul , this is the support from early 944 . Stops any lateral movement .

Attachments:
geaarbox support.jpg
geaarbox support.jpg [ 198.42 KiB | Viewed 2689 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:39 pm 

Crank Case wrote:
That is identical to the one I had.

Lots and lots and lots has happened since that, like engine mount replacement and new bushes (almost universally), so maybe it would have been okay but the thought of removing and replacing the thing for a 3rd time...
The liquid poly was a shore hardness of 85, so it might be just as noisy :D. I'll let you know.

Ha ha! You will find out..........

Sounds a similar story how i got my mount. A guy on PCGB had bought it and had lots of noise, turns out he had many issues including clutch, a cracked gearbox or bellhousing, can't remember exactly. Anyway, he replaced with standard when everything else was sorted and didn't want to refit the semi solid one so I got it.

Simon that old mount looks like a weapon!

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:46 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
That jogged my memory Paul , this is the support from early 944 . Stops any lateral movement .

That's it. Have you got one of those Simon, or are you planning to fit one? I've just bought a new BMW bike, so that's another garage ornament, that will sit in the garage unused this winter :) .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:05 pm 

It was meant to be going on the track car I sold but I have a new project for next year it can gin on instead .
I have also done that gearbox mount trick on both my cars with 75A shore poly and no noise or vibration I can detect so you should be good .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:46 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
It was meant to be going on the track car I sold but I have a new project for next year it can gin on instead .
does

Is there already a mounting point on the shell, or does one have to be added?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next