Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: 944 89 Engine, gearbox transplant...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:25 pm 

TIPEC membership: 8169
Evening all!

Long time 'no see'.

Porker got laid up having not resolved a number of issues and other commitments getting in the way.

Quick re-cap, re.: running problems. Mainly caused by defective ICV and... brand new DME temp sensor resistance between 3.5 and 6.5 k ohms!
Then, just as i was contemplating booking the MOT, the handbrake cable snapped.
This was the beginning of something silly... But first - front struts.

Dismantled (cut tabs off to free the shock) and then decided they were too ropey to do.
Found a set of Turbo struts on flee bay in good nick and with the added bonus of the baffle plate mount.
So, these got dismantled, I bought new Sachs struts, bumper stops (partworks.de), the M50 x 1.5 sleeves and locking cups, got them welded by friendly welder bloke and powder coated by those clever chaps.

Whilst I was at the front struts, I thought I would clean up the ABS teeth and sensors and earths - of course, complete struts with clean earth straps will help. I haven't actually started investigating the problem but before I do, I can eliminate some basics - more of that later.

...and to that silly thing.

Decided that I wasn't going to delay the refurb of the back end as the hand brake replacement malarkey would have to be done again and I dropped the rear suspension.
I say 'dropped', ha! 3 weeks, the killing of my angle grinder, the use of a reciprocal saw and a heap of de-blocker, heat and some very big levers. A lot of sweat and expletives.
Methinks, the total cost of all new bolts including eccentric bolts is iro £200.
This lot will go off for powder coating on Tuesday - yippee.

Image.

So I started to clean up the parts that aren't being powder coated

To...

The old bushes were a pig to remove. There's no way I am going OEM at the eye watering prices, so it will all be poly.
Easy to assemble, long lasting and I got most of them in black!

Now, I have started reconciling the ABS/Brake wires earths, all the clips for them, cleaning up hitherto inaccessible parts of the chassis and...
More of the ABS. The hub nuts came undone with my impact driver - the bearing and oil seal is A1 but I did this because I could get access to the ABS teeth. And what a mess, so worthwhile. On the workbench, it was so much easier to do this and remove the sensors.
When I come to start ascertaining the ABS light fault, at least I know that I will have eliminated a series of issues. It may even work without requiring further investigation.

1 more day underneath the back end (I have used my quota of Brownie points and the OH ain't happy) and i'll be ready to assemble after my bits come back plus odds and sods like the eccentric tool for camber and toe set up, eccentric bolt kit etc etc.

I am quite excited because the front end is all clean. I bit the bullet and sent a heap of stuff off for powder coating - both anti-roll bars and mounting bits, struts etc and now the back end will match.
Sometime in the future, I will get the body work done but I would be really happy to have an MOT and take it for spins on empty roads devoid of dithering diddery dodderies and bloody tourists and their bloody camper vans/caravans.
End of September is the deadline I have set myself.
Wish me luck.

Does anyone know if those hub nuts are single use?

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89
Old gentleman - Merc C220 '95, Elegance, almost mint
Work - Fraud Transit van, skip, bus...
Dream time daily - 3.6 997

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:36 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Good work! I'm pretty sure the hub nuts are re-usable. Don't recall mine being replaced and both sides done over the years.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:13 pm 

You will need a 3/4 drive torque wrench, at 500nm or 389lbsft your average wrench won’t cut it,

I did mine up with impact gun and drove down to the local truck repair shop, gave a technician a drink to do them up properly

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:41 am 

scam75 wrote:
Good work! I'm pretty sure the hub nuts are re-usable. Don't recall mine being replaced and both sides done over the years.

Stuart

Ta.

'sunroof delete'. This is food for thought.

I am familiar with the local tyre and truck tyre boys (or, they are familiar with me!).
They are going to set up the front camber and rear toe/camber anyway.

However, breaker bar... I weigh 65kg's... my extension bar is 1.2m...
Wouldn't want the hubs to loosen on an enthusiastic drive getting there :)

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:50 pm 

Wahey. Look at this little lot:

The trepidation of any large job on an old Porker is tangible but the fear of a lack of technical know-how and (unequivocal) research will usually be allayed because in almost all cases, this fear is misaligned.
The main problem will be those seized bolts. Or access. Or seized bolts and no access or parts but at an extortionate price or parts 'NLA' and if you do source them, they will be here Wednesday. Given that there are an infinite number of Wednesday's... you see where I am going. This is where your concerns should be directed.
My concerns prior to removal revolved around ride height and indexing of the splines on the torsion bar. However, as I had no intention of changing the ride height, all I needed to do was measure the angle and height before removal and mirror the angles 'on the deck' so to speak.
...and in that respect, it was straightforward, aided by religiously replacing every bolt with new (even the few bolts that remained intact after murderising them).

Next up a spot of welding and the arrival of some parts from Germany (that are inexplicably stuck in the Suez canal) before reassembly. They seem to be taking forever to get here. Now the logic of something made in Germany ending up in a shipping container which departed from the far east seems absurd but I have convinced myself of this and you won't convince me otherwise.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm 

The end of a very long saga?

A bit to go but...

Welder bloke turned up 7 weeks later than planned. I blame Brexit.
So Friday the 12th I started putting the back end back on. A process that I thought would take 2 to 3 days. Turned into 6. In fact, I only finished today on account of waiting for 2 clips from Porsche that go onto the handbrake cable the other side of the torsion bar mounts.
That is where that all began. I was intending to do this job next year but I pulled on the handbrake cable not moments before indulging in a thought and the thought was simple, it was 'MOT'.
But the cable snapped.

I looked at it and the eyesore and zillions of silly things needing to be reconciled at the back including v important stuff like new suspension bushings and the fact that I would need to remove the cable next year to carry out this reconciliation, why do it twice?

15 days to remove the torsion bar and suspension. I think that the greatest majority of seized stuff is gone and even if it were to never run again, that in itself is a victory. I wasn't at it 15 consecutive days, 8 hours a day, it was more like how tf do I get this f*cker out/off and go away and think about it for a while and think about my own reasoning for ever deciding to take on such a task. And it has been a monster of a job but the results are good and the joy of just tinkering on it to keep the thing up to scratch without the mammoth task of some seized or broken bolt delaying the process or making it doubly, no triply difficult, will always put a smile on my face.

I took a lot of pics but underneath the car and with artificial light and the flash reflecting off the newly jet lackered(?) bits made it a bit difficult and didn't do it justice.

[Funny how the flash made some bits look rusty and funny how some left over copper ease gives momentary palpitations]

I think that there is many layers to the satisfaction that I have from sorting this 944.
I did it, Me (mainly. 95%), I know my car well and although I probably paid too much for it, it will be in far better condition when it's finished than if I paid £6k more in the first instance.

I never did buy as an investment. It was clear from the outset that 944 prices are still pretty deflated. I saw a 944 Lux SE for sale. One of 160 odd ever built. Yes, the thing was immaculate - stunning and was going for £28k but the owner had receipts for over £40k.

Anyway, enough waffle. What comes next won't be down to me but the visit to the body shop. Eeek.

In the meantime, ABS light to sort, a trip to the welding welder bloke to finish... a bit of welding and then MOT test. That will be like expecting triplets but I don't envisage any major issues.

Apart from body work, I am going to now painstakingly list all the things I haven't touched on it:

ABS pump
Master cylinder and servo
ABS Ecu

But that's because I haven't needed to (yet).

So. i'll keep you posted when it goes off for body work and re-spray.
Could do with 1 x drivers seat with Porsche script in linen but I feel I may be waiting a long time for 1 or even a pair to turn up unless I deviate slightly.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:31 pm 

On here somewhere is a full test and trace for the abs

I sent weeks trying to fix mine, ended up with a rusted out seized ABS pump, and there is a cheap fix for that

But the big thing to get into your head is the abs sensors are a closed loop, no earth no connection to ground, the earth on the struts is for the brake pad wear sensors

Each wheel sensor is in effect a hall sensor just like the cam position sensor, the ecu must see a clean pulse from each wheel, clean correct connections are a must

If you can’t find the post let me know and I will pdf it from 968 U.K. as it’s my work I can do what I like

And there is more info on www.pdlibrary.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 pm 

Err, soz mate but you have doubled up! Must be age :D

Yes I know it's your piece and I have looked at it and from the top of my head the ABS ECU is identical to a 190e and the abs pump parts from a Merc w204 IIRC.
I really haven't looked at the ABS fault properly yet.

On the plus side, all the ABS units are clean and the pick up teeth are immaculate.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:19 pm 

I noticed Woolies and other are selling the ABS pump relay for silly money. I believe this is the one (brand new) for less:

0 332 205 003

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403302471426 ... SwnxJhfph-

Is that correct?

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:15 pm 

It’s the connectors rather than the rings

But sorry if I doubled up, it’s an age thing,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:37 pm 

Waylander wrote:
It’s the connectors rather than the rings

But sorry if I doubled up, it’s an age thing,

No worries.

I noticed that.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:31 am 

Thanks Rob, your a true gent :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 am 

Waylander wrote:
Thanks Rob, your a true gent :roll:

My comment: 'I noticed that' is a reference to "It’s the connectors rather than the rings".

I'm not as cheeky as you think :D

Going to have a pop at it later maybe but Zoom meeting and some faffing first.

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am 

I thought it was a funny comment, I did chuckle anyway

If you stick a meter on the wires by the wheel then spin the wheel you should see about .5v dc, you should see the same at the plug on the abs unit,

If I remember right there are two plugs before the connection reaches the ecu on the front end

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:33 am 

Waylander wrote:
I thought it was a funny comment, I did chuckle anyway

If you stick a meter on the wires by the wheel then spin the wheel you should see about .5v dc, you should see the same at the plug on the abs unit,

If I remember right there are two plugs before the connection reaches the ecu on the front end

..and 2 at the back. I'll check them all. I know that they are all accessible and clean so that's a bonus.
I did have problems with the rubber sleeved fuel pump connector in a similar vein.

Resistance for each sensor iro 100ohms?
I have the pin numbers that you posted on Porsche GB, 968Uk + others :)

Fun - 944 2,7 Lux '89

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next