Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:47 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: errr Supercharging...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Out of curiosity, do those in the know have any experience/knowledge of supercharging the S2
or 968 engine? From online, there are American kits (natch), but is there known reliable way
or is it a case of buy a Turbo instead?

I have only had one supercharged car, a Polo G40 which in a straight line made the Golf Gti
look very silly (bends, braking, flapping doors etc notwithstanding) ......

Anyway, just having daft thoughts and well you know...!

KennyP

Post subject: Re: errr Supercharging...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:44 pm 

It can be done........but at considerable cost and risk of engine damage. You have the correct answer already. Sell your dear old normally aspirated porker and move to the dark side with a turbo charged one!

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:27 pm 

+1 to what Stuart said...buying a Turbo is a much better option, less pain and better performance, no brainer really....

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:02 pm 

Feel the force 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:08 am 

Hi :)

Nitrous.....:)

About a fifth of the cost of a Turbo or Supercharger and its there on a switch WHEN you want it but otherwise the car drives perfectly normally....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:18 am 

How much is a good turbo these days, at least £15k ? TBH if I was spending that today I'd perhaps be considering something newer...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:31 pm 

All interesting comments chaps! My brain goes from each to the other and back again. What started this is there is
a car up for sale just now already converted but details such as mileage, any work required is somewhat sparse and
man maths started to happen instead of sleep!

Cheers
KennyP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7586
Hi KennyP. Are you thinking of buying it or doing the same? If I'm looking at the same one, it looks interesting. At 350bhp I bet it is an amazing drive. From a practical point of view though, how easy is it to get insurance on something like that?

From what I understand Porsche themselves only turbocharged 944 engine with 16v head once (924 GTP?). The fact they didn't use it on 968 Turbo S or RS models may have been just about research cost and production issues, but it makes me question if it's really OK to just boost it up to 350bhp. Like you say there's not a whole lot of info on the ad so it would be interesting to know more about what has been done and the thought process involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:44 pm 

LozS2 wrote:
Hi KennyP. Are you thinking of buying it or doing the same? If I'm looking at the same one, it looks interesting. At 350bhp I bet it is an amazing drive. From a practical point of view though, how easy is it to get insurance on something like that?

From what I understand Porsche themselves only turbocharged 944 engine with 16v head once (924 GTP?). The fact they didn't use it on 968 Turbo S or RS models may have been just about research cost and production issues, but it makes me question if it's really OK to just boost it up to 350bhp. Like you say there's not a whole lot of info on the ad so it would be interesting to know more about what has been done and the thought process involved.

Hi LozS2,

That's the one!! Been annoying me last couple of days but I have thought the same concerns as you.....

If it was a good 'un, it could be lots of entertainment for not too much lolly......right I'm off to sit in a dark cupboard
and lie down 'til the thoughts go away :drunken:

KennyP