Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: 944 S2 Repair
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I'd like to get an MOT on the car before fitting the VEMS. The unplugged TPS works ok most of the time, but occasionally the idle plays up. I asked Peep about his kit, but he said VEMS doesn't use the idle circuit on the turbo TPS, so I didn't need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 pm 

No one posted anything on this forum in over a month , hibernating ?
Anyway , finally got the front pulley back from Ian my engineer and the mandrel he has made for dry sump pulley . I wanted to keep it as short as possible and he has done a great job machining in a key and keyway on the pulley to keep it located rather than just relying on pressure from crank bolt to keep it in place and had a little firm in Birmingham make me a couple of M16 x 160mm bolts . This system allows me to use a large ATI damper .

Attachments:
mandrel.jpg
mandrel.jpg [ 86.36 KiB | Viewed 25509 times ]
mandrel1.jpg
mandrel1.jpg [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 25509 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm 

Lovely work and a good idea with the key, dunno why Porsche never done that originally. We tightened up my crank pully bolt with me hanging off the end of a 3 foot breaker bar whilst my mechanic mate was the flywheel lock! Seems to have done the trick anyway!

Yes, no posts for a month. The place seems to have died a death sadly. PCGB is a bit busier, not a great deal though, can be days without posts there too.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 pm 

TBH the 944 was never a car I really aspired to, when I passed my test back in the early 80's. Like most working class friends, I was Ford RS through and through. I did like the looks of the 944 turbo though, and when I was looking for something to replace my 87 RS Cosworth, a 944 turbo suited the budget. These days though hardly anyone is modifying them. And I don't really know who buys them now either. It is still a car I look back at, when I walk away from it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:37 pm 

I was never really into them either Paul and as in your case the price was right at the time , but even with more modern quicker machinery on the drive I still like playing with these cars , they can surprise people.

Talking of fords and some random information .

This is my earliest memory of fast fords . Mum , dad and myself just before he competed the 1971 Cyprus rally with works mk1 twin cam . I will be the one looking very bored scratching up the paintwork with the satchel.
Ford wanted to enter a works car in the Cyprus International rally and lined up a local rally driver Khris to drive it for them then asked my dad who was flying Vulcans out of Cyprus at the time but had some rally experience from the uk to co- drive (24 hour non stop so driver slept on road sections) . They won that year .
We got stationed back in the uk after that but Ford approached the RAF for a release for the 1972 rally and he flew out to compete at the event using works RS1600 mk1 with the new BDA engine but they got clocked in a minute early on first stage , this pissed Khris off who rammed it into first gear without the clutch forcing gearbox to give up on next stage . I think Hannu Mikkola used the car to win the safari rally later on in its life .

Attachments:
cyprus rally 1.jpg
cyprus rally 1.jpg [ 117.65 KiB | Viewed 25469 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:33 am 

Great photo and story Simon. I'm a terrible passenger, so can't imagine what it would be like to co-drive at that level. coincidentally my dad did his national service in Cyprus in the 50's. Nothing as glam as flying though, it was something to do with radar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:07 pm 

This forum has really died a death , which is a shame . Might have to go and play on the other side (and im not talking moustache and leather biker gear !) .
Thought this might be of interest to people or person depending on whose left .
Started another little project build with the aim at having a go at some speed events as such need a quicker steering rack . Have one on the other car (2.1 lock to lock) which was converted by Sellholm in Sweden but you are looking at over a £1000 to get it done . On the PRS site they have a 944 hillclimb car with a PRS subaru Impreza quick rack , great video have a look , but again well over £1000 . Now some of the STI impreza got a quick rack from the factory which is 2.75 lock to lock and some of the special editions got a 2.2 quick rack .
So for £280 from ebay a 2.2/13:1 subaru impreza quick rack turned up . I have carefully cut and ground of the fixing tabs from the rack leaving enough to locate bracket and offered her up . The bracket and bush is a perfect fit . You will need the LH rack or manual brackets and the intention is to get some poly bushes for the brackets machined out to fit the new rack . Will also need a bit of clearancing on the crossmember for the hose fixings but all looking good so will send rack of for a refresh.
Again will need a subaru intermediate rod so I can cut and weld with the 944 rod and a good few evenings figuring out which tie rods to use . The intention is to use another of the Astra electric steering pumps with it as that works really well.
Need some room in garage so cut the price of that 968 head , cams and variocam in half to 825 plus shipping if anyone after one .

Attachments:
sqr2.jpg
sqr2.jpg [ 132.89 KiB | Viewed 25298 times ]
sqr1.jpg
sqr1.jpg [ 154.26 KiB | Viewed 25298 times ]
sqr.jpg
sqr.jpg [ 183.84 KiB | Viewed 25298 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:24 pm 

Very interesting stuff as ever!

Have to agree this place is dying a death, shame really. I'm still here and check in daily (which admittedly is a mostly fruitless exercise, but I still do it!).

I used to double post my stuff on here and on TIPEC, particularly when I needed help with something. Should maybe look to get posting here again and others might follow my lead.

Cheers

Stuart

Edit to add: Please don't stop posting, I enjoy reading all your stuff!

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:54 pm 

Hi Stuart , just the two of us now I believe .
I will keep on posting , I find this thread reminds me of what I have done to what car and when so its a good reference .
I see your car is still going well I am pleased to see . Mines in for mot monday .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:27 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7868
You are not alone! I’m still here- not posting a lot as not doing much to the car sadly.
Many have gone over to face ache, twit head or instant prat for that immediate gratification.
Shame as the knowledge on here is invaluable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:53 am 

Yeah all is well. I need to swap over the temp gauge as it is still playing up. Once it gets up to about a quarter, it just starts randomly pinging skyward. Changed a rugby ball a few weeks ago and it was fine for a couple of weeks, now it's worse than ever! If you flick the binnacle, the needle returns to normal for a bit before it's next episode of pointing to the sky.

I know the car isn't overheating, but its still not great looking at your temp gauge gone beyond the red zone! Funnily enough, I've learned to measure temp from the oil pressure gauge. It's pretty much at normal running temp when warm idle oil pressure is just under 4, and if my heaters are still warm, it has coolant!! I will fix it though :)

Temp gauge aside, done over 2k miles now since the rebuild, and the engine is really good. Had a MAF issue but that's fixed. Not lost a drop of oil. Oil is still exact same colour it was when it went in, not losing coolant either. I've never had a car before that doesn't leak somewhere!!

And the lifters are all quiet, thanks again for the box of them. And the ABS sensors are all good, thanks for them too!

Good luck with the MOT!

Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:48 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
Need some room in garage so cut the price of that 968 head , cams and variocam in half to 825 plus shipping if anyone after one .

Stop that, I'm definitely not looking for any more garage ornaments...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 am 

It's what you need for those pistons you have Pauly , 16v the way forward !

Mot shouldnt be a problem Stuart , I loaned the tester some cash for a set of wheels he was after a few months ago so his wife didn't find out !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:24 pm 

sgl1966 wrote:
It's what you need for those pistons you have Pauly , 16v the way forward !

Undoubtedly Simon, but it's all the other 16v conversion parts I don't have that are the problem.

Wonder how much my mint 2.7 head/ cambox/cover/pistons & rods are worth...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:03 pm 

Not sure Pauly , but about to stick this up for sale as well , would go well with the head . Porsche 968 3L crankshaft , just been crack tested with bearings machined and polished to first undersize (.25) £870 .
A spare , spare .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next