Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 4:47 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: 944 S2 Repair
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Another bitterly cold day spent chasing the electrical non start. Nick brought along his scope so after checking refrence/speed sensor outputs were ok, injectors pulsing, fuel pump working, power to coil we stood around scratching heads.
After speaking to Tom Barker (brilliant custumer care) , he informed us the power goes through the KLR before going to the coil which we were unaware. After checking the wiring from ECU to KLR was good we could not get any signal from the ECU to KLR so sending ecu to Tom to be checked out. So fingers crossed that is the problem.
Photo of the scope Nick brought down which may be old but works well. Felt like a scene from "back to the future" waiting for the valves to warm up. Excuse the glimpse of Nicks unfortunate choice of undergarment !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 am 

hopefully that gets it all sorted simon! be good to see this in the flesh soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:45 pm 

Not just noticed this build. Lovely. Not read all the way though yet but them wing mirrors are a bad move. I had them couldn't find genuine ones at the time. They let water in and will cause your door cards to go soggy, You can fiber glass the door cards now to water proof them

3" fastroad exhaust
80lb injectors
Stage2 intercooler
Apexi ebc.
9xx quick shift/ front shift/fuel pump
M030 brakes/Coilovers/30mm front roll
18" JARA cups 225F/285R

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:00 pm 

Hi T3rra, I hear what you are saying about the wing mirrors but you have to enjoy the weight saving over the originals. I binned the stupid seal material that came with mine and sourced proper porsche 968 seals which were a good fit and seem to give a good seal. Did you try the same ? As for the door cards I will try some resin on the back as you suggest as these were replacements for the originals which were only held together by the material.
Had late christmas presents turn up today from either side of the world, another set of con rods from Australia and a nice shiny downpipe from fabspeed in the states. No idea how they work out import tax as there was none on either of these items yet last time I bought from the states , had to pay £28 on a £90 item ! Mike at fabspeed honoured a previous enquiery from last year so with shipping came to £254 which is a saving of over £100 on the H&S one. I realise that the H&S one is a true 3" but the fabspeed one is also wider than original and bolts straight up to the K27/8. I will hold of on the rest of the exhaust untill one of these group buys comes together, but thought it prudent to atleast change this while there is easy access with the engine on a stand. Admire the shiny part untill I get the exhaust wrap out, seems a shame really.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:22 pm 

Nothing to do with seal, used genuine glass and seals. Once you fitted the motor you have one chance to aline the mirror to housing as it just screws in to the fiber glass housing, in wired my in. Could be better if there manual

Issuse is the water gets behind the glass and down the hole where the wires come up. Also had them coming losse even with two lock tie bolts locked against each other.

3" fastroad exhaust
80lb injectors
Stage2 intercooler
Apexi ebc.
9xx quick shift/ front shift/fuel pump
M030 brakes/Coilovers/30mm front roll
18" JARA cups 225F/285R

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:40 pm 

Being from the south and the weather being so cold , not much has been achieved recently. But today had a day of work so braved the elements and headed out to the garage to have a go at fitting the D9 headlights.
Was unsure they might be a bit much with the vented bonnet but having them mocked up in position and seeing the amount of space gained with the weight loss achieved, I have gone ahead fitting them.
Do not believe the instructions about being half a day to fit as I have been on this all day and only just got to glassing the fixings in place. It will be nice to be able to get to the coil without the headlamp motor being in the way.
Hope to get them finished over the weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:45 pm 

Still be frustrated by these electrical gremlins. Tom checked and returned the ecu and klr with updated software and a couple of dry joints on the ignition circuit repaired. We were hoping to put it all back together and start it up but nothing is that easy.
Still have fuel, injecters pulsing and power to the coil but no spark.
Sourced another turbo engine loom which we tempoary connected up over the engine and with a better scope could see the coil powering up but failing to discharge. This is leading us to a short in the wiring from the ecu to coil so the intention is to swap over the engine loom and run some new cables to the coil as we joined the original cabling being originally a 16v with there ignition modules. So frustrating as it was running great before this happened.
In the long term I will see about having a new loom made up with the spare as a template as although Porsche still stock them, they are £1400 !!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:11 am 

Car is of to Tom Barker next week as he believes the fault is still in the ecu and the fuelling is going to be set up correctly on his rolling road.Only have standered turbo injectors in at the moment but do have a set of siemens 55 waiting to go in.
Recieved the sunnen pads and paste which i have passed on to my engineer.I look forward to the results from this as so many people seem frightened to hone these alusil blocks. will post up pics when done.
The damaged 2.7 head is repaired, along with new guides and a light skim. Still needs to be finished but here are some before and after photos showing that anything with in reason can be fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:00 pm 

Picked the other block up today after having it bored, honed and polished. I bought the stones, pads and polish and took it down to Ian , local engineer, who carried out the work. As can be seen , he first bored it out to accept the 104.5 pistons to get rid of the deep scoring before honing and polishing. The result looks superb, just need to get the block cleaned before assembly. His only comments were the first set of polishing stones are quite course and would consider missing these out next time.
He also enlarged the first oil ring gap as the Total seal rings were to wide for the je piston gap on the first ring.
I have posted up a load of photos, hopefully in order boring/honing/polishing/silicone compound,as struggled to find much on the internet when researching.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:07 pm 

And final few shots of honing/polishing and silicone compound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 pm 

Got to put my hand up to the non start being self inflicted ! The car is at Tom barkers and he found the fault , so can fit the 55lb injectors and get the fueling set up, well done Tom.
I had put in new refrence sensors and spent considerible time gaping them with the washer glued to the end on a spare. The car had started and run 30 - 40 miles after this and had shown pulses from the sensors when using the scope fault chasing, so had not bothered to remove to check them. Tom did and found the grub screw had come into contact with the end so we were not getting a strong enough pulse. Dont know if it vibrated loose or just set them wrong. Dont really care , its going again !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6177
Tom is one thorough guy - great news :D

Rob

1992 944 S2
1988 924S

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm 

Well looks like the 16v turbo is going in sooner than I thought due to a rather large hole in the block. Engine had been behaving well with alot of power but no1 conrod let go while being set up for fuelling on the rolling road. This was under no load, no noise, with all the logs looking ok. Initial thoughts were oil starvation but there are no burn marks on the crank or bearing shell remains. I have been told that looking at the break on the conrod, it looks like a material failure. These were the Rarst rods but they are all getting on a bit now. I wont know for sure till I strip the engine but car came home today and started to get ready to remove it tommorow.Hopefully the head will be saveable.
Looking on the bright side it does mean the other engine can go in straight away with its all new shiny bits, along with the rebuilt torque tube. To help release a bit more power my 3" exhaust has turned up from ASS so that will be fitted at the same time. Great price and quality item.
It will also release the engine stand to continue the build of the other engine. Glass is always half full !

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:21 pm 

Jeez, you've taken that a lot better than I would have :shock: . Glad I've got a new set of Carrillo rods in case I ever need them.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:53 pm 

Don't get me wrong Pauly , all the toys went out the pram when it happened, but it helped to have a bigger and better motor ready to fit.
Spent the afternoon disconnecting everything ready to drop the engine out in morning. Removed the manifold and cam tower so can pull the head to have a quick look at the damage first. Aiming to have engine, gearbox and torque tube out tommorow and new torque tube and engine back in friday if all goes to plan ! At least there will be no seized bolts this time round.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 36  Next