Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:03 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: 944 S2 Repair
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:00 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
I'd like to get an MOT on the car before fitting the VEMS. The unplugged TPS works ok most of the time, but occasionally the idle plays up. I asked Peep about his kit, but he said VEMS doesn't use the idle circuit on the turbo TPS, so I didn't need it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:18 pm 

No one posted anything on this forum in over a month , hibernating ?
Anyway , finally got the front pulley back from Ian my engineer and the mandrel he has made for dry sump pulley . I wanted to keep it as short as possible and he has done a great job machining in a key and keyway on the pulley to keep it located rather than just relying on pressure from crank bolt to keep it in place and had a little firm in Birmingham make me a couple of M16 x 160mm bolts . This system allows me to use a large ATI damper .

Attachments:
mandrel.jpg
mandrel.jpg [ 86.36 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
mandrel1.jpg
mandrel1.jpg [ 101.17 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:01 pm 

Lovely work and a good idea with the key, dunno why Porsche never done that originally. We tightened up my crank pully bolt with me hanging off the end of a 3 foot breaker bar whilst my mechanic mate was the flywheel lock! Seems to have done the trick anyway!

Yes, no posts for a month. The place seems to have died a death sadly. PCGB is a bit busier, not a great deal though, can be days without posts there too.

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:30 pm 

TBH the 944 was never a car I really aspired to, when I passed my test back in the early 80's. Like most working class friends, I was Ford RS through and through. I did like the looks of the 944 turbo though, and when I was looking for something to replace my 87 RS Cosworth, a 944 turbo suited the budget. These days though hardly anyone is modifying them. And I don't really know who buys them now either. It is still a car I look back at, when I walk away from it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:37 pm 

I was never really into them either Paul and as in your case the price was right at the time , but even with more modern quicker machinery on the drive I still like playing with these cars , they can surprise people.

Talking of fords and some random information .

This is my earliest memory of fast fords . Mum , dad and myself just before he competed the 1971 Cyprus rally with works mk1 twin cam . I will be the one looking very bored scratching up the paintwork with the satchel.
Ford wanted to enter a works car in the Cyprus International rally and lined up a local rally driver Khris to drive it for them then asked my dad who was flying Vulcans out of Cyprus at the time but had some rally experience from the uk to co- drive (24 hour non stop so driver slept on road sections) . They won that year .
We got stationed back in the uk after that but Ford approached the RAF for a release for the 1972 rally and he flew out to compete at the event using works RS1600 mk1 with the new BDA engine but they got clocked in a minute early on first stage , this pissed Khris off who rammed it into first gear without the clutch forcing gearbox to give up on next stage . I think Hannu Mikkola used the car to win the safari rally later on in its life .

Attachments:
cyprus rally 1.jpg
cyprus rally 1.jpg [ 117.65 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:33 am 

Great photo and story Simon. I'm a terrible passenger, so can't imagine what it would be like to co-drive at that level. coincidentally my dad did his national service in Cyprus in the 50's. Nothing as glam as flying though, it was something to do with radar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30