Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: 944 S2 Repair
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:04 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Another work of art

2013 Volvo XC60 D5 brilliant car

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 pm 

Awesome. If anybody is on PCGB as well, probably know I'm into an engine rebuild. I'm hoping to receive a shiny rebuilt short motor soon with westwood liners and wossner pistons amongst other things, and I sincerely hope it looks like some of your pictures Simon!

Will have a Cometic to suit as well, crank balanced and polished, pick up support bracket, mains, big ends, seals, gaskets etc.

Currently giving thought to clutch, new 60k miles ago. Have asked my mate to give me a report. Anybody know if you can get the friction plate done alone if need be? (Sorry Simon don't want to hijack your superb thread!)

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 pm 

Thank you Waylander , much appreciated but a lot of the work had already been done by Baz at Hartech .
As such Paul the liners were already installed and honed in preparation for the pistons which I installed not taking great note of the exact wall clearances only that it was a lot less than that I have been using with the iron sleeves and closer to alusil clearances .
Sorry to hear of the demise of your engine Stuart , I used Orca based in Borden ,Hampshire to make my clutch disc into a six puck , you can see it on page 13, but they can also resurface with a choice of materials an old disc . Just got to watch out for those little springs in the turbo disc are secure .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:55 pm 

Thanks Simon. Yeah its a pita but the new engine should be fresh and strong and last years.

Good info about clutch disc. Money is v tight but would be foolish not to look at the clutch while it is out, hence thinking about maybe doing the disc only. At 60k miles its probably half done. Had a six puck before in a seriously modded RST, didn't drive too bad. I will only be running about 320 horses max so was thinking a fresh standard disc may be the way to go. Can only see full kits for sale though hence question.

Cheers

Stuart

Promax L2 chips, SciVision MAF, Lindsey DPW, MBC, Forge recirc valve, 3 bar FPR, K&N panel, GAZ Gold, wideband AFR, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Pump.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:20 am 

sgl1966 wrote:
As such Paul the liners were already installed and honed in preparation for the pistons which I installed not taking great note of the exact wall clearances only that it was a lot less than that I have been using with the iron sleeves and closer to alusil clearances .

I've said before that Baz is a clever fella, but I'd still be twitchy when I think Wossner spec more clearance. Or maybe they quote less for use in Nikasil plated alloy wet liners?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:35 pm 

Less clearance with nicosil ally liners , I have read , 'so it must be true' , that the 911 brigade are looking at clearances between .0015 and .002 when using nicosil .
I had no choice in clearances as honing the cylinders larger would risk making the nikosil to thin or going through to the aluminium and with Barry's knowledge and experience I can not see that this was not thought about in some detail.
I will, when I find my bore gauge , measure the spare liner and another piston I have and let you know what they are Paul . Till then fingers crossed !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:09 pm 

Thanks Simon. It would be interesting to know, what pistons Baz is using in all his 911 and Boxster rebuilds now?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:16 pm 

Paul , measuring .003" with that spare liner .

Started to put on the later hubs , discs, adjustable top mounts and refurbed audi calipers today but managed to chip one , on the face showing of course ,so its gone back to be repainted . Looking at the spacing , I could have got away with 345 discs .
Can't use the front grease caps with these wheels so will try and machine them down to fit but everything is covered by the wheel cap for now. Also dust shields and air deflectors are no good so will look at sorting out some other method to deflect air .

As for the wheels , how about some bling !! Really suits an 80's car .

18 Cargraphic 3 piece wheels needed to clear the calipers . What an arse of a job refurbing these especially when you realise after assembly that you have mixed up one of the barrels and rims ! Frantic times to take apart while silcoflex still pliable . The paint isn't perfect , but it will do for a while till I have more time to redo them.
These are quite a heavy wheel as the have a solid stainless steel rim but ideal for the roads around here with the large number of pot holes . Gave them a coat of Shelby ceramic coating to help ease the cleaning .

Can' say how the brakes are until I get the other caliper back but here are some photo's as we all like pictures.

Attachments:
caliper15.jpg
caliper15.jpg [ 166.19 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]
caliper 11.jpg
caliper 11.jpg [ 196.42 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]
caliper12.jpg
caliper12.jpg [ 244.57 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]
caliper14.jpg
caliper14.jpg [ 237.18 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:28 am 

Thanks for the piston info Simon. I expect an alloy liner will expand faster/more than a ferrous liner, so .003" should be good. The wheels look great, I didn't have much luck searching for the brakes you're using though. I don't recall if you're using a different master cylinder?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm 

Master cylinder the same at the moment but if there is a longer pedal , I believe there is a BMW 750 master cylinder that will fit and correct things . Won't know till I drive it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:01 pm 

Well the clutch judder coming down the gears from third to second got the better of me and I decided to remove the clutch and flywheel as they looked the most likely culprits . I had forgotten how enjoyable it was to do a clutch job on a 944 , not really , what a pain in the arse replacing the clutch is on these cars and I still don't know if it would have been quicker to pull the engine .
Anyway with clutch and flywheel removed the guilty party would seem to be the pressure plate ,it was showing signs of heat and large ridges , my fault as I had reused a pressure plate that I had , lesson learned . I also had not balanced the flywheel after refacing so it could have been out of balance . Anyway a refaced flywheel and new pressure plate are with OCS to be balanced when the parts turn up to fix their machine .
The clutch disc itself looked ok but showing uneven wear so I will take this back to Orca to get their thoughts if it needs refacing or use as is .
The saving grace is there were two cracks found , one on the bellhousing by the clutch slave bolt fixing and another hairline crack down the centre of the coupler .As can be seen by the battle scars it was a real fight to get this coupler off the drive shaft (and getting it on as I remember) . I have a 968 coupler I will replace with as they seem stronger with four bolts to secure in place and will spend some time with a file on the splines of the drive shaft , I believe that is a legacy of changing the torque tube bearings with a large hammer .
Now its just a waiting game for the parts to put back together .

Attachments:
clutch22.jpg
clutch22.jpg [ 166.35 KiB | Viewed 3468 times ]
clutch23.jpg
clutch23.jpg [ 153.75 KiB | Viewed 3468 times ]
clutch24.jpg
clutch24.jpg [ 124.08 KiB | Viewed 3468 times ]
clutch21.jpg
clutch21.jpg [ 105.91 KiB | Viewed 3468 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm 

Hi Simon

Always something to keep you busy! Are you using a standard pressure plate? I think Sandy on here, who I got my standard pressure plate from, is using a KEP one for extra clamping pressure?

https://www.kennedyeng.com/clutches

Might be good for your application.

Cheers

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 pm 

Hello stuart , I did not have any slippage using this clutch disc and a oe pressure plate either on the road or the rolling road so will go with this set up again with a new pressure plate this time . A new PP will be stronger .

The Kep pressure plate would be nice for insurance but it begins to get expensive with import duties and shipping from the states when it might not be needed . Although it has been in the back of my mind that the juddering could have been because the PP fingers were not strong enough and I will regret the previous statement but fairly confident it was the old PP .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:20 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean. My engine rebuild has grown arms and legs, inevitable really, where do you stop?

Hopefully you have no regrets and a shiny new standard PP does the trick. Of course its easy enough to swap it back out again........................ :lol:

Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:29 pm 

Well a couple of Elf's turned up with my early xmas present from the wife and as she had gone out for a couple of hours I thought the hallway was an excellent place to assemble them . These are the lowest weight rating at around 1600kg perfect for the 944 and use a battery to power them at a reasonable £799 from costco in their black friday deal.
All went together easy enough but did take me a little longer than suggested to properly bleed them , this was done outside as she might have noticed hydraulic fluid on the rug. I have to say they are great , make life much less risk adverse than trying to get the car onto four stands by yourself . I have ordered four larger rubber pads (160 x120 x60) to lessen any chance of slippage as not totally sure of the blocks they sent and have the little round pads that fit into the front lifting points. These save crushing any of the plastic undertrays .
This also forced me to do something about the rear lifting point . It was mangled prior to my ownership and has always annoyed me as it can be seen from the side , but I have always been put of the thought of replacement due to the amount of paint, underseal and 36 years of road salt with the expected corrosion . But as always the thoughts were worse than the job itself and within 10 minutes it was off and porsche will have one for me from germany in two days at a cost of just over £20 . Always amazed that they stock such trivial items for such an old car .
So today picked up the flywheel and P/P from being balanced. I have never bothered before so will be interesting if I can notice a difference . So tomorrow will be back on the floor to start putting it back together for xmas hopefully.
If any one wondering its an 80/20 wool mix wilton , you got to have a bit of luxury on your back in the cold .

Attachments:
qj6.jpg
qj6.jpg [ 166.05 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
qj5.jpg
qj5.jpg [ 171.01 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
qj3.jpg
qj3.jpg [ 223.08 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
qj2.jpg
qj2.jpg [ 170.79 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 522 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 35  Next