Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:09 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: From race car to track day car
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 am 

TIPEC membership: 0
I purchased a rundown 944s race car approx. 2 years ago for a good mate after he caught the 994 bug, from driving my 2.7 track car, now sold.

The seller said he had lost interest in the 944 as he was having misfire issues after 15-20 mins track time.

The spec of the racer was as follows –
944s with remapped ecu, stainless exhaust .
OMP 6 point bolt in cage, Cobra seat, harnesses, fire extinguisher , etc
SPAX coilovers front, non coilover rear, 30mm torsion bars, polly bushed, brakes had uprated ferodo ds3000 pads. Nothing to startling there, but a good solid base to have a bit fun with at trackdays.

The intention was to make the car road legal again, so it could be driven to the track days. As you can see from the above photo front light’s had been completely removed, along with parts of the harness, the interior was a complete mess with cables for cut off’s running across the floor, dash had been hacked about and sharp edges left. The fuel pump was mounted stupid low, I did question how the car had ever passed scrutineering, so bad was the prep work!

The suspension setup was comical, different ride heights at the rear and sitting way up in the air, front suspension was not a lot better with different camber side to side. The brakes were spongey as hell, turned out to be a new calliper had been purchased for the driver’s side front. Big problem was it was a passenger side calliper, just mounted upside down!!!!

The process of righting the wrong’s started with the suspension, re-indexing the rear torsion bars (it has got 30mm bars in), setting camber, toe etc.
A replacement brake calliper, the correct one, was purchased for the driver’s side and the brakes bled through.
The fuel pump was mounted back into the standard position.
Lights and electrics were sorted next, the electrical bodgery was on a whole new level and numerous insecure earths and live feeds were identified, cut offs removed, battery located back into its correct position and interior tidied up.
The seat was replaced and adjustable mount made up, along with installing a passenger seat.

The body was next on the list as an ex racer it was never going to be perfect, and is what my mate and I term a nice 5 meter car!

The time from purchase to being ready for MOT may seem long, however this is due to the owner having to restructure and relocate his business owing to the down turn in the Oil industry, just after purchase. Happily this has turned out well, as has the finished car.

Now looking forward to getting it out on track come the spring!