Hi :)

Welcome and ask away.... :)

All the best Brett :)

Post subject: Re: Porsche 928 S2
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:06 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Hi Brett,

Thanks for the welcome.

A few jobs to tackle. My main question is regarding the cambelt. I have seen a few guides about changing them and the waterpump. The PorKensioner seems like a good option? Also, in relation to the fuel lines, any advice on changing the hard fuel lines and the hoses under the bonnet. I'm thinking high pressure nylon with barbed connections or braided with compression joints for the hard lines? Any links, advice or info on connector sizes greatly appreciated.

I'm sure most of this has been covered already on the site, so forgive the newbie questions. :lol:

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:29 pm 

Hi Eoin :)

Unless you are an experienced mechanic, I would pay to have it done...if you get it wrong, you are probably looking at buying another engine... :)

The belt and possibly pump NEEDS changing every 4 years...mileage doesnt matter..its time, so unless you have absolute proof its been done in the last 4 years, it needs doing...

The hard fuel lines are extreme high pressure ( mine runs at around 48 to 55 psi) with my Nitrous system i actually have a fuel pressure gauge in the cabin.

Do not change hard lines with nylon form a motorshop (thats designed to run 4 to 6 psi :( )

There is a special type of nylon lines you can get from someone like Jon Mitchell with brass fittings... but the only time i have seen that used (on mine) was to replace the really awkward rear hard line from tank (which has to have axle dropped to change otherwise)

The hard lines under the bonnet, i have never known to give problems , why are you thinking of changing them ?

By the way, where in the country are you as always willing to help if you are near me... in Bournemouth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 pm 

Hi Brett,

Thanks again for the reply and info.

Changing the belt doesn't bother me - I'm not a mechanic, but have a little bit of spanner twirling experience - but I heed your advice about getting it wrong! Was planning on changing the waterpump also. I have been reading reviews of different makes and steel vs plastic impeller. I see a GMB with a plastic impeller for $86. Laso seems to get a good review but runs about $500.

I think a new belt, Porkensioner and water pump is what I'll plumb for.

I have seen SAE 30R9 rated nylon hard lines rated at 100 psi working pressure and 900 psi burst pressure, to replace the steel ones. I was aware about having to drop the rear axle if cunifer or steel was used as a replacement - a hydraulic hose fitter could do those lines, if the axle were dropped.

If barbed push connectors work with the connector already there, that would be the be the neatest option - otherwsie braided fuel hose (rated at 1000psi) and compression fittings. Just need to know current connector types and sizes.

I have read that the rubber fuel hoses in the engine perish after 20+ years, so there were also on the to do list for replacement. There are also premade kits (Greg Brown) but if the fittings are standard type, I'd just buy braided hose and the connector and DIY.

Thanks for much for the kind offer - unfortunately I'm in Ireland!

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:21 pm 

Hi Eoin :)

A waterpump for £86 ..wow.... or lol wow... dont use it lol :) for that price its GOT to be a Chinese copy :(

I have had every hose/pipe off in my engine bay to fit my huge Nitrous system as it runs an EXTRA 16 fuel injectors (on top of the 928s , 8 standard ones)

I really wouldnt bother changing any of yours , as an ex race mechanic i would have changed mine if any needed it but they didnt...not engine end anyway.

If you do them...not barbed :( use compression fittings...

For the belt /pump/tensioner I would get them from Roger at http://www.928rus.com in Texas.. hes an English guy who lives there now and owns several 928s including a CS and his prices even including carriage to the UK are around half what you would pay here..and hes a very nice guy as well :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:25 pm 

Hi Brett,

I had a read of this: http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/Technical/ ... Tip684.htm which is a very informative article on 928 waterpumps. The one listed for $86 comes direct from GMB (Japan) and as far as I can tell is not a Chinese copy.

Out of interest what kind of water pump are you using?

Compression fittings it is then :D Thanks for the advice on the other hoses.

Kind regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:10 am 

eoinsully wrote:
I had a read of this: http://jenniskens.livedsl.nl/Technical/ ... Tip684.htm which is a very informative article on 928 waterpumps. The one listed for $86 comes direct from GMB (Japan) and as far as I can tell is not a Chinese copy.

I think the page you link to is a summary of a discussion on Rennlist and does not have any dates on it. I would encourage you to check Rennlist for the current thinking as it may have changed - I do not claim to be up to date, but I believe that most there now shy away from pumps with metal impellers after there were some cases of the impeller coming adrift and grinding/wrecking the block.

I agree with Brett, your $86 water pump may be coming from Japan but at that price it's unlikely to have be made there (hardly anything from Japanese companies is manufactured in Japan these days) - of course, you may be lucky and they've mis-priced it and it should actually be $186 or $286.

Last year I bought a fan resistor pack for my daily driver Skoda from an online retailer; it was half the price of the genuine part but, as it came from a "German" company and was more expensive than the obviously Chinese ones, I thought it was worth a try. It didn't even last a year before it failed. Of course, I may have just been unlucky or there maybe some fault with the fan that caused the premature failure, but I've now fitted a genuine one.

"Buy cheap, pay twice" as the saying goes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:52 am 

Hi bmjb,

Thanks for the info. I saw the discussion on metal impellers can can see the logic for going with a plastic impeller.

As per the saying, I mostly go for a good quality part, in line with cost - I was just curious as to why this one from GMB was priced at $86. My preference would be a Laso pump.

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 pm 

Hi Eoin, congrats on purchase, I did the same and bought an 89 S4 Auto in October.
Interested in hearing more about your car and how you came to purchase + photo.
Regards, Stew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:56 pm 

Oxfordshire Panther wrote:
Hi Eoin, congrats on purchase, I did the same and bought an 89 S4 Auto in October.
Interested in hearing more about your car and how you came to purchase + photo.
Regards, Stew

Hi Stew,

Bought it in the UK - I had been interested in one for a while, but decided to purchase, while I could afford one, as the prices are starting to climb. Itmust go through the VRT registration process in the new year in Ireland. A few jobs to sort, service etc. An equal congrats to you :D

Kind Regards,

Eoin

Attachments:
Eoin928_2.JPG
Eoin928_2.JPG [ 93.32 KiB | Viewed 12707 times ]
Eoin928.JPG
Eoin928.JPG [ 101.46 KiB | Viewed 12707 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:20 pm 

Hi Eoin, WOW stunning looking car. Super black bodywork!
Does it have Linen coloured leather interior (like mine)?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:28 pm 

Hi Stew,

Thanks. The body looks good in the pics but a few areas require attention, drivers door rubbing strip, front splitter, sunroof and hatch seal.

I'm not sure what the correct Porsche colour is, but it's like a cream leather colour.

Lots of service parts have arrived over Xmas, plus the front Porsche badge, seal and nuts. A full list of jobs lined up!

Kind Regards,

Eoin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:01 am 

Hello Eoin,

I know 7 years have passed, but i would like to enquire if you ever fitted Nylon Fuel Line and compression fittings to replace the steel lines on your S2.
I have a 1979 928 here at the moment and i would like to find a good source for these components in Ireland.

Kind Regards,

Geoff Walker
086 8339381