Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 am
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help and assistance required in SE London area
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:07 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
The saga continues! Decided to have a poke around myself and found a pipe that seemed to be blocked, sure enough some monkey had cable-tie strapped the feed from the expansion tank to the rad so tight the pipe was constricted. After cutting it loose and topping the fluid up, squeezed all the pipes again and ran the engine until it heated up. Initially it went to the red, then some pressure released from the cap followed by a rush of bubbles, then the fan kidded in and the temp settled back into the white. Now have flow through the rad, so took it for a test run BINGO, no more overheating.

Dont get me wrong here the cooling system needs some serious attention, but it is now working and doing its job. The engine has fesh coolant in it and fresh oil, and is running pretty smoothly. The brakes work and tyres are good, so am going to attempt the drive back to scotland tomorrow. The project has begun, now for some adventure lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:28 am 

Hi :)

Hopefully it will be fine...but, just in case take several 5 ltr containers of water...and some radweld....

If you do then you will probably never need them....

If you dont then sods law, says you will need them lol :)

Have a good trip..... :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:42 pm 

TIPEC membership: 7406
Well the adventure started quite pomisingly then rapidly became a bit of a nightmare, started to feel like i was in an episode of Top Gear. Made it from Purley to Warick services quite happily, car felt like it was enjoying its run out. Stopped for coffee and a break as didnt fancy Birmingham in morning rush hour. Anway, got back to the car to find large puddle on the ground, pipe from rad to waterpump had popped off and split in the process. Lets just say the day went downhill from there. Lets just say that i was stichted up and let down by the breakdown and recovery people.

Several patch ups and cooling down periods later (and many hours) I managed to limp the car to Warrington where a good friend of mines lives. He has kindly allowed me to abandon the car on his drive until i have a new plan i place.

Dispite all the drama some good things did come out of the day, firstly was amazed by the number of people chatting to me and wanting to help out whenever i was stranded at a sevice station. Secondly, got to know the car quite well spent sometime checking over other parts of the car and even started the interior restoration with a cleanup, and fixing the centre armrest (which still has a complete casset tape holder in it). Thirdly, did get to experience and appreciate the future potential of the car.