Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Silverstone classic Parking
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6649
grbspeedster wrote:
I think Hatton is well attended as free event with attractions for all the family. The Silverstone event is to my mind one of the best in the year BUT it is getting expensive with the early bird offer still costing £80, this along with the captive audience approach to pricing inside (£1.80 for small bottle of water!) makes it an expensive day if you want to take wife and children. The weather has not been good and everyone could see the parking would be difficult. As it happens not too bad Saturday, Friday i parked on PCGB side and car was sinking in to ground after the downpour during the day, parked with the TIPEC guys Saturday (its OK i am member of both clubs). This coupled with the fact that even after this many years Silverstone have still not sorted out entry to circuit, multi lines in condensed to 2 getting through gate puts people off
For me will still be booking for next year :D

Sorry Geoff can't agree with you about the roads, no problem getting in this year or the years before, last year I went from Towcester race course to Silvierstone for the GP in a bus and it took about twenty minutes.

You can't just concrete over fields for car parking if you did the track would be under water 70% of the time as you'd eliminate the soak aways, plus a lot of the fields are owned by farmers an not SCL.

Northants council spent about 45million on local road upgrades, you can get to Silverstone from the A34 East & West, through Silverstone village and from Dadford.

I think it's all down to cost.

The TIPEC pitch was / is one of the best drained landscaped sections far superior to what the PCGB had, just a shame it was undersubscribed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:40 pm 

If you go early enough no problems getting in. i live local and normaly go back roads into event with no issues. Talking to guys on PCGB one was stuck in traffic que down the A43, we came this way this time at about 9 as we decide to have a breakfast at Jacks hill beforehand and were queing on A43 but only took about 20 mins.
Yes TIPEC site good as only 2 parked on Friday hence why i used Saturday.
Not saying should concrete over all, just saying that due to adverse weather a lot of people may have been put off coming knowing ground would be soft (by the way campsites were still a sea of mud according to 2 guys we spoke to from lotus club)
As i said above been going since it started and will be returning next year, great event

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:07 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6649
Yes, I will still go, I just about go te everything except the Bikes, and F1.