Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:45 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I'm such a f*ck*ng clutz!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 pm 

TIPEC membership: 666
Porsche wrote:
a good scratch removal firm?[/b]

Attachment:
HPIM0346.JPG

Ouch Pigglet, I wouldn't have wanted to be within earshot when you did that :x

If the scratch has not gone through the clear laquer then it can be removed by simple abrasives and then machine polishing. If it has gone into the blue paint or deeper then it will have to be painted. Unfortunatley it's impossible to tell from a photo how deep it is. IIRC it has recently been repainted by ClubAutosport, so if they have applied a thick enough laquer you may be lucky

If it is too deep to remove then there are two options. One is to simply touch in the scratch with a fine artists brush or a small air brush, this will leave you with a blue line that will be very visible but it protects from water and eventual rust. The second option is to rub down the scratch, prime, repaint and then laquer along the rear quarter ££££££. Unfortunately the scratch is right next to the front door so there is no room to fade out the new paint, so in that colour there is the risk of a slight colour mismatch unless the front door is also painted :(

Painting the sides of a car is not really a job for a mobile SMART repairer, we tend to stick to bumper corners that have been driven into walls (or other cars)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:03 pm 

my girl friend works for honda they use chipsaway to fix any faluts on new cars before they go out

she says they are very good

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:01 pm 

TIPEC membership: 964
:crybaby: Thats gotta make wanna cry. Hey CTigger' maybe you should give up working on the car for a while what with the seats and now the scratch it can't be good for the stress levels. I hope all comes good in the end. Chin up and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:16 am 

TIPEC membership: 3275
fury964 wrote:
:crybaby: Thats gotta make wanna cry. Hey CTigger' maybe you should give up working on the car for a while what with the seats and now the scratch it can't be good for the stress levels. I hope all comes good in the end. Chin up and all that.

I know, it's just one thing after another at the moment. I've got the M.O.T. to look forward to this month too.
:?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:30 pm 

TIPEC membership: 3275
ThreeTwo wrote:
How sick does it make you feel when you scratch your own car? Feelin for you bud

I use Image Car Care in Solihull. Worked on most of my cars over the years and I've always been happy. Had a similar scratch on Sarah's 3-series that was finished to a (near) perfection. Their workshop is only a mile from my house so I take the car to them but they do have a mobile service too. (these guys came to TiPEC national event at Walton Hall for a number of years and were kept busy all day. There are loadsa happy punters they helped wiv stone chips and scratches)

Ask for Frank or Simon 0121 711 1345

Good luck

I went to see the guys at Image today. They said that they can do something with it, but it will still be noticable to me. However they say that it won't be noticable to anyone who doesn't know it's there. Only gonna be about £25 to £30 quid.

If I wanna get rid of it totally, then it's total panel respray which is big bucks.

I've just gotta wait to those muppets at K.A.T.S. to fix my seats first. Then I can arrange a day to book it in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:56 am 

Porsche wrote:
ThreeTwo wrote:
How sick does it make you feel when you scratch your own car? Feelin for you bud

I use Image Car Care in Solihull. Worked on most of my cars over the years and I've always been happy. Had a similar scratch on Sarah's 3-series that was finished to a (near) perfection. Their workshop is only a mile from my house so I take the car to them but they do have a mobile service too. (these guys came to TiPEC national event at Walton Hall for a number of years and were kept busy all day. There are loadsa happy punters they helped wiv stone chips and scratches)

Ask for Frank or Simon 0121 711 1345

Good luck

I went to see the guys at Image today. They said that they can do something with it, but it will still be noticable to me. However they say that it won't be noticable to anyone who doesn't know it's there. Only gonna be about £25 to £30 quid.

If I wanna get rid of it totally, then it's total panel respray which is big bucks.

I've just gotta wait to those muppets at K.A.T.S. to fix my seats first. Then I can arrange a day to book it in.

To be honest, the scratch Image 'removed' on Sarahs car was near on perfect. I didn't see your scratch at the meeting last night but from the snaps of your car it was a similar bit of damage. (Someone decided to try to pop the lock on the drivers door and obviously slipped with the screwdriver)

I was happy with what they did anyway - hope it turns out well for you bud

1973 914 1.7 - Signal Orange
1977 VW T2 Westfalia Berlin - Sage Green
1986 911 3.2 Carrera Super Sport Cabriolet - India Red
1992 Suzuki Samurai Sport - Turquoise
Zuffenhaus http://www.zhporsche.co.uk