Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:18 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Car washing leaving marks in paint.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:19 pm 

TIPEC membership: 6015
Skype ID: umgi_hackn
Afternoon all, maybe someone here can advise or has had a similar problem?

I have owned my 944 for two very fine years now and love it.
I have had several cars over the years and being OCD about eve the worst of cars that I have owned (a gold 1.2 Astra with leaking sun roof being the worst) I consider my self a reasonably well experienced car cleaner.

However I have a problem with the Porsche which I have never had on any other car.

The 944 is Black and the paint is in very good condition for 20 odd years of age excluding the obligatory stone chips.
I was the car off then get my leather shamois and a bucket of warm clean water ready for drying.
The roof and bonnet dry off fine but I get these marks in the paint down the sides of the wings and doors (Front to back).
They are like little holograms in the paint or possibly even like damp marks (as if there were still globules of water sitting on the pain).
The only way to get rid of them is to either polish the car or to literally rub with the chamois with all my might until the marks fade and the paint all looks smooth and one colour again.

It makes a simple wash and dry into an epic battle combined with various four letter words whilst I rub and rub and rub again.

has anyone else ever had such a thing, heard of such a thing or at least have an idea what could cause it.

I have used two different car wash liquids and trey to rub the marks out to reduce the need for polishing every week (Which I understand can not always be a good thing).

Any help, advice or tips would be great. I'd love a re-spray but can't afford that option yet.

Thanks all.

Post subject: Re: Car washing leaving marks in paint.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
After a respary it be even worse. This is know as water eching. Cause is hard water, and water droplets left 2 dry on the paint. Shouldn't be 2 much off a problem this time off year, but in the summer on a hot day, can leave you forced 2 constenly keep one side off the water wet while you dry the other. Even when you try 2 brake the car down in 2 four indvail areas, e.g roof and rear, front wings and bonnet and sides. It's hard not 2 get water on the wash and dried areas.

You can get water softeners and water magnet towels. Your need a few 2 be able 2 wash the car reasonably quickly and not be forced 2 wash and polish every time. Even after a double wax the water from a wash can still be a problem

3" fastroad exhaust
80lb injectors
Stage2 intercooler
Apexi ebc.
9xx quick shift/ front shift/fuel pump
M030 brakes/Coilovers/30mm front roll
18" JARA cups 225F/285R

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:46 pm 

TIPEC membership: 0
Rapided detailer spray, like the kind u get with a clay bar can sometimes work out the spots if not let 2 long. The resoan they come out with poilsh is due 2 the slight removal off the paint in which they eched them Selfs in. Iv found washing the windows after 2 be a problem as well. So I just clay bar them as I go.

This really is only a problem
With black cars, and I'm guess other dark colours as well

But I do get water sitting under the hacth and if u don't left the thing up 2 dry it you end up with White marks by the lights.

3" fastroad exhaust
80lb injectors
Stage2 intercooler
Apexi ebc.
9xx quick shift/ front shift/fuel pump
M030 brakes/Coilovers/30mm front roll
18" JARA cups 225F/285R

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 pm 

TIPEC membership: 4260
I have a similar hard water problem, I use a glass cleaner or spray detailer to remove the water marks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:24 am 

Thanks for the replies. I was starting to wonder if it might be a problem with my paintwork resulting in costly fixings.
Hard water is a much better problem to have I guess.

Well there are a couple of things for me to try there so back to the car washing drawing board and see how the next wash goes.

Thanks all, the thoughts and advise are much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TIPEC membership: 911
Try rinsing the car with a hose without the spray attachment, this allows the water to sheet off rather than bead on the paintwork. Start with the roof and rinse off each panel as you wash it.

You could also use a wash with a water softener added, like Meguiars NXT or Dodo Juice.

Join the Club

Silver 1989 911 Speedster
Midnight Blue 2004 996 C4S Cab
Tahoe Blue 1990 964 C2
Zenith Blue 1998 BoxsterSold
Guards Red 1992 944 S2 Cab gone but not forgotten
Mediterranean Blue BMW 530e

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm 

TIPEC membership: 993
Assuming the paintwork is in good knick after a polish then you can discount the fact that the marks are in the lacquer or indeed is 'hologrammed' (ultra fine scratches in the lacquer coat)

Chances are its down to hard water, so a number of options exist.

May sound totally obvious but ensure the car is waxed / sealed. In order to reduce the marks made by hard water then I find a sealant type 'last stage' works better than a pure (well mostly) wax - something like Zaino (others exist of course!) I have a black Zafira that is Zainoed and does not suffer post washing water marks even in a hard water area)

You can reduce the hard water by using an inline water softener - I have one by aquagleam that after rinsing you can just walk away and it will not dry spotty etc, although I dry as well

Or you can wash one panel at a time - then dry. There is a product call Optimum No Rinse which despite everything telling you not to follow the instructions will work total wonders. Its a one bucket method, saves water. Wash a panel lightly, dirt comes off then dry straightaway. Its the best method of panel by panel wash there is in my view.

If non of the above really appeal then get yourself a 5ltr tub of Meguairs last touch - spray that on whilst wet after rinsing, (normal routine) and then wipe it dry ASAP.

However one thing is for sure, the problem can be made to go away - lord knows my garage is stocked with so much stuff I have tried over the years and the above work !

Morris the 58 Split screen in 'shed' state
Wilma the Karmann 70's beetle
Jag x type motorway slogger
Nasty 206 pug thing - but great for trashing around in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 am 

Wow I like the look of that Aquagleam filter.
I'm going to buy one of them after X-mas and give it a go.

I think I'll clay bar the car too and give her a good polish and wax.

Next step will be to put some money aside and get them wretched wheels refurbished.
Then maybe I will have an OCD car after all.

Thanks everyone. This has been a massive help (If it works) and has at least put my mind at ease about the paint on my car.

Have a nice weekend everyone and take care.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:10 pm 

Up-date on washing.
I was at my parents place this weekend checking over my car for the MOT and had a brain wave.
My parents have a built in water purifier so I thought I would see what this does.
Washed and rinsed with the filtered water I was a little disappointed to see the marks still appearing in the paint work.
I set about drying in the usual manor but was very surprised to see that the marks came right off with the chamois. A little bit of rubbing was required but nothing like the biblical effort needed when washing with my own water.
So I guess this could well be the genuine problem.

I might try the water softeners but am quite taken by the plug in charcoal filter idea too.

Thanks to all for the tips and advise. It seems to have worked in this case so all is good.

Have a lovely week all.