Porsche Enthusiasts Club Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm
Classic Line Insurance

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any experiences upgrading 997.1 stereo?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:39 pm 

TIPEC membership: 9212
Evening!

I've had my 997.1 with PCM 2.1 and Bose for about a month and I love it... but... the antique stero is doing my swede in. My last car was a 2017 335d so I have gotten used to streaming my music over bluetooth and having a fairly decent sat nav and sadly those are both things that are lacking.

I was thinking about getting a Mr12volt (denison clone) or something like that to add bluetooth and just living with my phone for sat nav, but as you have to get the head unit out anyway to fit that, it made me think why not just go the whole hog and get a modern double din head unit. I had a word with a stereo shop in Torquay while I was passing through on holiday and they quoted about £900 to fit a £350 panasonic unit (the fitting kit is about £350 as well due to needing the MOST adapter thingy for the bose amp).

I've seen a few faceboot posts where people have just gotten a MOST adapter and one of these chinese android units and done the whole thing much cheaper.

Anyone got any interesting experiences or advice on this area?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Any experiences upgrading 997.1 stereo?
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm 

TIPEC membership: 10034
I installed an XTRONS unit in my old 997.1 which worked well and also included Apple Carplay and Android Auto over Bluetooth along with all the standard functions. It's touch screen only thought so I also installed the remote controls that attach to the steering wheel for better access to volume control. There were a few niggles though as the install instructions weren't the best but overall not the hardest process in the world. The only other issue was slight interference from the engine but that's relatively easily fixed with the addition of some old fashioned suppressors.

Here's a link to the unit from Xtrons (included a MOST adapter for the BOSE amp although you lose the ability to fad front to back):

https://xtrons.co.uk/porsche-various-an ... -pqs80cmpl

If you do decide to go for it and need any advice/questions on the install let me know